Star Power gestation length

Help Support Steer Planet:

NJ Farms

I bred a few of my angus cows to a simmental bull, Star Power, for the first time.  I have 4 cows due in the next 10 days, just wondering if his calves come early or late?  I also bred a few to WMW, Swoosh, and Whose Your Daddy,  Any input on those would be welcomed.  Thanks

Bulldaddy

I bought a Star Power bred heifer last weekend.  Here is a photo.  She is sunk in the snow about 8 inches so she is bigger than she looks about a frame score 7.  Lots of rib and bone and I hope she will work to one of the club calf bulls like WMW or Monopoly.  Star Power is no heifer bull, expect larger than normal birth weights and more frame.  I hope you get along okay on those angus cows.  Glad they are not heifers.

Attachments

• LHT MS STAR POWER 284U.jpg
    LHT MS STAR POWER 284U.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 583

GLZ

In my experience gestation length is usually in that 284 or 285 day window.

Watch them though, they can be monsters.  There is a reason his calving ease number went from double digits positive to negative.

AStar

I don't know about Star Power but Dream Catcher on Angus cows tend to go around 10 days later than straight Angus. I had a 98 pound bull out of a heifer the other day that was exactly 293 days. Calf was made right and she had it overnight with no problems.

GoWyo

Anybody with Star Power heifers out there that have calves on the ground?  Are they coming big or are they following the sire more?  We specifically bred one to calving ease Maine, so just trying to figure out if Star Power heifers are having any trouble.  Kid's heifer not due until April 1.  She is pretty framey and had large pelvic size, so she should be OK.

stangs13

GoWyo said:
Anybody with Star Power heifers out there that have calves on the ground?  Are they coming big or are they following the sire more?  We specifically bred one to calving ease Maine, so just trying to figure out if Star Power heifers are having any trouble.  Kid's heifer not due until April 1.  She is pretty framey and had large pelvic size, so she should be OK.

I will let you know in November! Bred to In Dew Time. The star powers seem to have lots of rib, power, bone, front ends can vary depending on the cow of course.

GoWyo

stangs13 said:
Another thing...he looks like he will throw a tail head into one. Quite a few SPs have had tall tail heads.

My kid's heifer is half Maine and she has a big ol' tail head.  The Star Power tail head definitely carried through.

Bulldaddy

Alpha said:
super nice heifer, to bad she's got's all that extra lether up front

thanks, I agree about the front end, but I am hoping WMW or another clubby bull will clean her up.  She is due in August to Olie (not what I would have bred her to but that is how she came).

FutureBreeder2013

Bulldaddy said:
Alpha said:

thanks, I agree about the front end, but I am hoping WMW or another clubby bull will clean her up.  She is due in August to Olie (not what I would have bred her to but that is how she came).

first calf is better alive than dead and ollie is a pretty good calving ease bull

jbw

When you are breeding to crssed up cows, more so with three way cross, you take your prdictability and throw it out the window. Heterosis comes into play, I would say your calves should be between 50-150! lol ;)

Bulldaddy

FutureBreeder said:
Bulldaddy said:
Alpha said:

first calf is better alive than dead and ollie is a pretty good calving ease bull

Once again, I agree.  I have used Olie a lot last fall.  I think he works best on more angular, feminine featured females.

DavidSinclair

NJ Farms said:
I bred a few of my angus cows to a simmental bull, Star Power, for the first time.  I have 4 cows due in the next 10 days, just wondering if his calves come early or late?   I also bred a few to WMW, Swoosh, and Whose Your Daddy,  Any input on those would be welcomed.  Thanks

Most of the reports I have gotten suggest that they tend to go over. I believe this has contributed in part to his higher than expected BW’s.

Last year our SP calves (8 head) had an average due date deviation of +0.8 days. (Using 283 days).We had 5 over and 2 under. The latest was +8 days and the earliest was -2 days.