Star Power gestation length

Help Support Steer Planet:

GLZ

FutureBreeder said:
Ive heard that he was a twin also  ???

It was a very popular rumor at one time.  Sinclair has denied it on more than one occasion on here.

Alpha

GLZ said:
FutureBreeder said:
Ive heard that he was a twin also  ???

It was a very popular rumor at one time.  Sinclair has denied it on more than one occasion on here.
[/quote

i think it would be very foolish to promote a twin and I'm sure that Sinclair runs a very respectable operation and wouldn't dare think of this

Alpha

kfacres said:
Why would it be foolish to promote a twin???  A twin as calving ease?  or a twin in general??? Curious to see why you think so

a twin as calving ease? double foolish there is a reason that a twin comes out weighing 55 pounds its because "IT" was sharing a space and nutrients ment for one not two. you wouldn't know what your gettingyourself into

twin in general? its got a more likely hood to produce twins, and i would rather have one good healthy calf than two ok or one ok and one really weak. i wouldn't ever try to use a twin and i think alot of other people would feel the same. you would be getting into alot of unknow.

DavidSinclair

kfacres said:
simtal said:
FutureBreeder said:
BW-70 not reccommended for heifers?

a sire's actual bw has little bearing on  calving-ease

he was also born a twin

We would not have bought SP if he was a twin. We would not have considered buying SP if he was a twin.

“Alpha” hit the nail on the head. No cattleman worth their salt would leave a twin purebred bull intact. It just doesn’t make any sense. It’s hereditary and unwanted. It would be worse than TH or PHA imo because it is not manageable.
(Maybe a clubby or terminal bull but even that is a stretch)

To “Kfacres” – your statement “he was also born a twin” would indicate that you are not just repeating something that you were told / read and that you know this to be a fact. If this is the case please enlighten me (David Sinclair 765-719-0744 cell) because someone needs to hear from my attorney.

DavidSinclair

DavidSinclair said:
kfacres said:
simtal said:
FutureBreeder said:
BW-70 not reccommended for heifers?

a sire's actual bw has little bearing on  calving-ease

he was also born a twin

We would not have bought SP if he was a twin. We would not have considered buying SP if he was a twin.

“Alpha” hit the nail on the head. No cattleman worth their salt would leave a twin purebred bull intact. It just doesn’t make any sense. It’s hereditary and unwanted. It would be worse than TH or PHA imo because it is not manageable.
(Maybe a clubby or terminal bull but even that is a stretch)

To “Kfacres” – your statement “he was also born a twin” would indicate that you are not just repeating something that you were told / read and that you know this to be a fact. If this is the case please enlighten me (David Sinclair 765-719-0744 cell) because someone needs to hear from my attorney.

You have just been sent a personal message by kfacres on Steer Planet - Show Steers and Club Calves Forum .

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.

The message they sent you was:

somebodys gettin awefull defensive... I was attending a sale few weeks ago.. Some fellows were talking, I was just over hearing.. . wouldn't do you any good to try to punish me.. just hearing off word of mouth. 

We have SP son in our bull test.. best SP I've ever seen.. he's actually stout with body

I hope everyone understands that there is a HUGE difference between:

“he was also born a twin”

and

“Some fellows were talking, I was just over hearing..” That SP was a twin.

If not you should probably refrain from posting anything until you get it figured out.

As far as: “gettin awefull defensive” “wouldn't do you any good to try to punish me.. just hearing off word of mouth.”

1. I have every right to defend myself when someone is spreading rumors or in this case an outright lie that not only makes me look bad but cost’s me money.

2. I think most of us need to do a better job of taking responsibility for our actions and realizing that our actions do have consequences for others as well as ourselves.

3. Spell Check. 

Alpha

hey David i was just woundering if you happen to be calving out any heifers sired by Buckcherry. We have one due in about a month

Simmimom

We have a SP heifer that has been preforming well in the showring.  Had some concerns about what to breed her to (mostly because of things I read on here about the big calves he produces).  Was told by someone who has used him a lot that he thinks thebig calves seem to be happening "up North" as opposed to TX and has something to do with the regional differences in feed.  We are still aiming to go calving ease, but feel less worried.

stangs13

Simmimom said:
We have a SP heifer that has been preforming well in the showring.  Had some concerns about what to breed her to (mostly because of things I read on here about the big calves he produces).  Was told by someone who has used him a lot that he thinks thebig calves seem to be happening "up North" as opposed to TX and has something to do with the regional differences in feed.  We are still aiming to go calving ease, but feel less worried.

Sorry for getting off topic a bit. How did she do in SA? I wish we could have brought ours up there..

I think star power gets more bad rep than he should.. I have seen to many good ones to say he isn't producing nice cattle.

Show Heifer

Actually, a few years ago, Clay Center Meat and Animal Research Center was PROMOTING the fact that cattleman should aim for twins. Their reasoning: with todays nutrition and high milk producing cows, there is no reason why twins should not be profitable. They had actual data, but their twins were handled the exact same way as singles and did weigh about 100-200 pounds less at weaning, but with TWO you still had more weight than a single. If I recall they lost about 2% in re-breeding, but again, the extra calf weight made it pay. 
There is a fairly popular bull in the red angus breed that has been heavily promoted and he was a twin. I would guess he holds his own on semen sales, and comes from a very respectable large scale cattle operation.

A common mis conception about twin males (bulls or rams) is that they will produce more twins. THAT IS INCORRECT. The bull is going to deposit 10 million sperm into a cow a breeding. If she produced ONE egg, then she will have a single calf. If she ovulates TWO eggs, then she will have twins. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BULL.  (Think flushing a cow.... it is up to the COW on how many embryos she produces, nothing to do with the semen (bull))
On the other hand, keeping FEMALES from a twin bull, WILL increase your likelyhood of that female producing twin calves (very miniminally) , but again, it is up to her rate of ovualtion.

More importantly: If you absolutely want to minimize your chance for twins, do not keep ANY TWIN FEMALES. This makes sense if you think about it. So all you folks keeping those twin heifer calves..... watch out!

Nutrition also plays a role in twin retention, but that is for another post.

frostback

What about identical bull twins, where the egg splits. Does that not increase the odds that the twin bulls heifers would have twins?