Starting a new Shorthorn Association for Cattle Breeders

Help Support Steer Planet:

RyanChandler

Those cows had coastal hay in front of them every second they were in the pasture.  While the more functional genetics got fatter, these genetics got poorer.  I find it very odd that Doc's cattle are sustainable on grass only as I've been to WHR several times and talked to Sarge several times regarding what it takes to keep those cows in their presented condition.  Any one is free to drive by there. You'll see they graze wheat from October through April and there's creep feeders and feed troughs throughout. 

RyanChandler

Doc said:
-XBAR- said:
As far as those cows- now it's about to get good. They were out of a JM Vortec son and every one of them was stacked w/ WHR, SS and 4S genetics on the bottom.  The body condition of these cows even further solidifies my point regarding these dysfunctional genetics.  It was easy to form this conclusion as all I did was sort the hardest doers I had in my herd and sell them. Coincidentally, they were all very similar on paper.  Really, they culled themselves.

The best part here is the conclusion: After profiting ( there ya go, lil buddy) $500 per head on EACH one in less than 3 months - I took 10 grand to Lovings SH sale and invested in quality-bred heifers. I'm glad you took the time to post these heifers here as it gives the on-looker interested in investing in those type of genetics a great representation as to how they will look on a pasture and hay only ration.

You talk about it's not about the money or making a profit, but yet here you are bragging about a profit.
In another post you ask someone "have you no honor" , then you sell the heifers that you say can't make it on pasture and hay to someone else , while making a profit off them.
I've got several SS and WHR bred cattle (including several 1st calf heifers) that are making it just fine on fescue pasture.
Myself like several others just didn't get your ad. I guess it shows my intelligence because it went right over my head. I kept looking to see if somehow his name tied into a former world champion boxer. I would have thought you would have been better served to come up with an ad tied into the armed forces somehow(Major Leroy). That is if you had been trying to market him. Don't get me wrong , I like your bull. I really like the cow family he goes back to. I guess I just don't understand the whole I'm not in it for money, I'm not trying to market anything, then you spend about $700 on a full color ad?
Good luck with your not marketing venture, I guess(that's ok to do isn't it)?

I've made myself clear multiple times.  Honorable cattle breeding needs to embody more than JUST the pursuit of cash.  You can twist it anyway you want but time after time I've said this. There is nothing dishonorable about making money ::) What's dishonorable is comprimising all- for the pursuit of cash.  You're being so ridiculous with your hang up on my wordage. The ad right next to mine coins the bull 'Muscle Man.'  He a nice looking bull- but clearly not a 'muscled up man.'  This is just one example as nearly every ad follows suit in this approach. 

Maybe the $700 is a bigger deal to you, I don't know. It wasn't even an advertisement per se as obviously, there's nothing being offered for sale there. It was really just a flyer presenting the new breeding piece at -XBAR- Shorthorns.  My girlfriend owns a design company and made it for me. I thought she did a good job.

Bradenh

Talk about 700 dollars not being anything to you

A sack of cubes is cheaper than that, you should have taken your lake fund money and fed those poor abused cattle before you pictured them

A bad picture of bad cattle isn't honorable, or credible

Looking at those things would dang near make me want to invest in some genetic defects

Atleast th would put some hair on them and make them look alittle nicer (thumbsup)

RyanChandler

Yea, it's hard for me to justify spending any feed money on a particular set of genetics when their better-bred counterparts are fat as ticks on the same rations.  If you have to constantly provide additional nutrition out of a sack to keep your cows in adequate condition, then those genetics clearly aren't suitable for your environment.  I wouldn't expect you to understand the concept of sustainability, though. 

And then you associate more hair, with looking nicer  (lol)

Bart, will those generations of ranching behind you, you should have instilled a little more cattle sense in your boy here.  He's proving to have missed the boat big time.

Bradenh

-XBAR- said:
Yea, it's hard for me to justify spending any feed money on a particular set of genetics when their better-bred counterparts are fat as ticks on the same rations.  If you have to constantly provide additional nutrition out of a sack to keep your cows in adequate condition, then those genetics clearly aren't suitable for your environment.  I wouldn't expect you to understand the concept of sustainability, though. 

And then you associate more hair, with looking nicer  (lol)

Bart, will those generations of ranching behind you, you should have instilled a little more cattle sense in your boy here.  He's proving to have missed the boat big time.

Hell anything would help them, even hair

I have deer on my place that look better than that, so what would you know about sustainability?

bart

No I think I've done a good job with him actually, it's safe bet to say none of his cattle look like that red and white starved garbage pictured

You missed the boat when you started using shorthorns and then saying "sustainable" in the same sentence

Even my 9 year old knows that

I applaud showstopper for being 17 and still being able to reveal how big of a know it all idiot you are

RyanChandler

Lets just hope his form- or lack thereof  (lol) - doesn't take after you.

Not a cow in that pics under a bcs 4. Shows how far removed you are.

Bradenh

So you have none, just as your credibility

Another unsanctioned theory

Golly your just full of those little buddy

Was it the people's choice bsc?

Bradenh

How could you say what it was if you have no way to verify it?

Sorry that you got lost- that's how most of us feel while your explaining yourself

You said a bcs of 4 then admitted you had no verification of it. Making it unsanctioned and make believe ( your all about facts right)

The same sanctioning guidelines that were used when you proclaimed your bull a champion, and declare your cattle functional

None

Doc

-XBAR- said:
Those cows had coastal hay in front of them every second they were in the pasture.  While the more functional genetics got fatter, these genetics got poorer.  I find it very odd that Doc's cattle are sustainable on grass only as I've been to WHR several times and talked to Sarge several times regarding what it takes to keep those cows in their presented condition.  Any one is free to drive by there. You'll see they graze wheat from October through April and there's creep feeders and feed troughs throughout.

I knew better than to feed the trolls. I really don't care if you believe me or not. Here is a pic of one of the WHR 1st calf hfrs when her calf was 3 1/2 months old.

Attachments

• 2013-07-14 10.08.42.jpg
    2013-07-14 10.08.42.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 256

trevorgreycattleco

Doc said:
-XBAR- said:

I knew better than to feed the trolls. I really don't care if you believe me or not. Here is a pic of one of the WHR 1st calf hfrs when her calf was 3 1/2 months old.

I don't think he is knocking you Doc. Just questions how the difference is there. To me it says you have excellent pastures and hay. Nothing wrong with that. It's the most important thing to me. That cow looks good. I can see her maybe not getting bred back as a 7 to 10 year old cow on the range. She makes you money. Keep her. Bottom line.