starting an operation...

Help Support Steer Planet:

hamburgman

Your going to wait a long time to watch the dollar crash and a serious depression hit.  Also don't see land prices crashing, much of the land being bought isn't being bought with loans, banks are protecting themselves.  Don't see it staying in the 10,000 to 20,000 range either, ROI and so forth doesn't justify it.

Till-Hill

Focus on quality and take care of your cows and they will take care of you. Don't let your heart get in the way of your future at least in the culling aspect of production. And the only other advise I got for you is keep your debt load low and build up equity and cash on hand. I too believe in a few years land will be cheap, or at least cheaper than it is now. That's my plan of attack anyway. I'm getting the cows about paid for and all the equipment it takes to raise them. In a few years when the right farm comes up for sale I will have the banker on board and ready to go.

And p.s. when you are thinking about finacing the young farmer loan is great for interest rates and they have other loans too  but check around your area and see what other people got to say about your FSA loan officer. Mine has held me back more than helped me with all the paperwork and number stuff. Money on paper is just that, but money in your pocket is real money. Some people have great luck but me not so much! Good luck to you!

kfacres

Till-Hill said:
Focus on quality and take care of your cows and they will take care of you. Don't let your heart get in the way of your future at least in the culling aspect of production. And the only other advise I got for you is keep your debt load low and build up equity and cash on hand. I too believe in a few years land will be cheap, or at least cheaper than it is now. That's my plan of attack anyway. I'm getting the cows about paid for and all the equipment it takes to raise them. In a few years when the right farm comes up for sale I will have the banker on board and ready to go.

And p.s. when you are thinking about finacing the young farmer loan is great for interest rates and they have other loans too  but check around your area and see what other people got to say about your FSA loan officer. Mine has held me back more than helped me with all the paperwork and number stuff. Money on paper is just that, but money in your pocket is real money. Some people have great luck but me not so much! Good luck to you!

but remember, some young farmer loans can only be used once.. meaning== don't waste the first one away buying cows- when in a couple years you'll need a house and acres...

I also have an FSA young farmer loan-- taken when I was in high school to buy a set of show sheep and my first shorthorn heifer.. that loan expires this year-- and quite honestly, i think it was one of the poorest decisions I've ever made..  heifer's been culled, and non of the sheep are around anymore-- and they don't' have descendants either...  atleast he heifer left me a daughter to continue building with... (clapping)