Starting in the Show Cattle Business

Help Support Steer Planet:

J

JTM

If this is the approach you are going to take, then I would suggest that you purchase proven donors with a track record of producing good embryos and consistently good calves. Speaking from experience, purchasing young heifers or bred heifers that are really good looking with well known genetics is not a good way to find donor cows...

RyanChandler

JTM said:
If this is the approach you are going to take, then I would suggest that you purchase proven donors with a track record of producing good embryos and consistently good calves. Speaking from experience, purchasing young heifers or bred heifers that are really good looking with well known genetics is not a good way to find donor cows...
who woulda thought? (lol)

J

JTM

Chandler said:
JTM said:
Your pretty funny their fella. You apparently have never made any mistakes because you already know everything. If your mad because you can't find a bull as good as Complete, don't take it out on me... (lol)

RyanChandler

JTM said:
Chandler said:
JTM said:
Your pretty funny their fella. You apparently have never made any mistakes because you already know everything. If your mad because you can't find a bull as good as Complete, don't take it out on me... (lol)
Hell I've made plenty of mistakes- check Grayson Co - but I try learn from my mistakes and I damm sure try take advice from those who clearly have more cattle sense.

True, I'm bummed I can't find a bull that really gets me going. Maybe the whos your daddy'll have something special..I know I'd like to see a red polled model of the saskvalley warrant bull that sold last year... O' and as far as the crossbred bulls, I think ill leave those to you.

J

JTM

Chandler said:
JTM said:
Chandler said:
JTM said:
Hell I've made plenty of mistakes- check Grayson Co - but I try learn from my mistakes and I damm sure try take advice from those who clearly have more cattle sense.
True, I'm bummed I can't find a bull that really gets me going. Maybe the whos your daddy'll have something special..I know I'd like to see a red polled model of the saskvalley warrant bull that sold last year... O' and as far as the crossbred bulls, I think ill leave those to you.
All I know is that I'm doing the best I can with what I have learned. I also try to let others know while on this board. I also make decisions on cattle based on what I feel is the best available at the time I need them. Why should I wait around on a purebred bull like Complete when he never will exist? I don't argue your points about hybrid vigor and comparing the hybrid vigor of F1's and 3/4's. This is what I've got.  So if your ever in the southwest Ohio area you should stop in and see if I have any cattle sense. Buy a couple straws of Complete, breed them up to purebreds and then see how the F1 cross works.

kfacres

JTM said:
Chandler said:
JTM said:
Chandler said:
JTM said:
All I know is that I'm doing the best I can with what I have learned. I also try to let others know while on this board. I also make decisions on cattle based on what I feel is the best available at the time I need them. Why should I wait around on a purebred bull like Complete when he never will exist? I don't argue your points about hybrid vigor and comparing the hybrid vigor of F1's and 3/4's. This is what I've got.  So if your ever in the southwest Ohio area you should stop in and see if I have any cattle sense. Buy a couple straws of Complete, breed them up to purebreds and then see how the F1 cross works.

what kind of shorthorn cows have you bred complete to>>>  to make that purebred Complete?  One more generation- and they paper pure...

SpoonerCattleCo

Okay back to the original topic. In March 2011, I was thrown into taking over my dads 50+ operation that emphasized in show cattle that excel in the pasture. We currently had two donor cows getting flushed. They stay at a very reputable embryo facility and it cost roughly 1500 to have her housed, fed, bred and embryos extracted. In roughly a year, I have taken our herd to a dramatic drop and now only hve 8 cows, with 3 being donors. I sell the embryos, but retain a few to get live calves every year. My lead donor is throwing anywhere from 20-30 eggs getting frozen each time and the 2nd donor is between 18-20. I dont have the finances to keep an operation like the one you are thinking.

I may only be 21, but I did pay attention at a lot of shows and sales to people talking and my dad. I would say to either buy a up and coming donor that has already produced some good calves and been flushed before or spend the money you would buy 8 or 10 and buy some damn good 2 or 3 year olds that have the ability to be donors. Remember, its not always about quanity, but retaining good quality cattle to raises for the next generations. I have a 1 yr old and as the cows are paying for themselves and i could afford a couple more cows, I would rather have 5 or 6 good quality calves every year then a bunch of better end mediocre. Not saying all operations are like that, but it took years to get them and lots of money to have many calves each year that were of good quality.

With have kids, I personally think it would be a wise decision to buy a two or three donors and start with some small ET work and see how you like it, and the older the kids get and the more interest they show, the bigger you make it. I have two brothers and I am the only one who is interested in raising and showing cattle. My dad invested a lot of money in cattle for my brothers and me, but I was the only one who wanted to go to shows and enjoyed the friendly competition. Again-this is my personal opinion, and I know my parents would have had it a little easier with us kids if all the money he spent, wasnt.