Steak Grilling

Help Support Steer Planet:

COd

I agree with Doc.  A good steak shouldn't have to have anything on it.  Why ruin it..

knabe

mechanic said:
Marinate in coke and red wine in the fridge overnight and grill on low heat only adding a little soya sauce on each side. Brings the flavour right out. I have also used Fresca or Canada Dry Ginger Ale instead of coke.

Jim

underestimated recipe.  pop is acidic, so acidic that it will show up on pH monitoring devices for drains to the sewer if you put too much down the drain.

the acid in the pop tenderizes the meat (recent chinese secret), as does real ginger.  (ancient chinese secret)

KSanburg

Garlic salt pepper and a touch of jack Daniel's! Medium high to seal in the juices turn when the blood comes to the top then grill for about 5 minutes. I agree any steak worth eating don't need much stuff on it to make it palatable, and if it does it should have went to the grind pile.

FXDS

Feed it corn until it is  prime, let it hang (dry age)for at least 3 weeks, 4 if you can get the locker to do it, and grill it over hot coals or on a smoking hot cast iron pan (during the winter).  A good steak doesn't need anything in my opinion.  However much to my chagrin the kids do like to put A-1 on the side.

coachmac

sue said:
CHARCOAL  HEAT. NEVER PROPANE GAS GRILL

NO SEASONING  NO SAUCE. A NICE PIECE OF APPLE WOOD IF YOU HAVE IT?  IF IT IS A TOUGHER CUT, LIKE FLANK I USE INDIRECT HEAT .

WE USE A FRESH HERB , GARLIC AND OLIVE OIL RUB FOR LARGE CUTS OF BEEF- IF YOU MAKE IT TO JUNIOR NATIONALS ... STOP BY AND TRY IT.

Which JR Nationals are you refering too?  <beer>

Davis Shorthorns

coachmac said:
sue said:

NO SEASONING  NO SAUCE. A NICE PIECE OF APPLE WOOD IF YOU HAVE IT?  IF IT IS A TOUGHER CUT, LIKE FLANK I USE INDIRECT HEAT .

WE USE A FRESH HERB , GARLIC AND OLIVE OIL RUB FOR LARGE CUTS OF BEEF- IF YOU MAKE IT TO JUNIOR NATIONALS ... STOP BY AND TRY IT.

Which JR Nationals are you refering too?  <beer>

Shorthorn

Davis Shorthorns

sue said:

Not fair Sue, not fair. 

trevorgreycattleco

DOC is on the money. Nothin on mine. If I got to put somethin on it, I don't want it.  I have had 5 calls from customers this week that said my steaks don't need anything. They love em. Thank the lord.

Sue, how come I didn't get to eat that when I was there? Sounds great. Although I must admit, I did eat very very good while I was there! I told my mom to make the fish like you did on the bread! Anybody want to see some great cattle and meet some great people, you should stop and visit Sue and her family. They are tops in my book. Where else can you ride a bull (Captain Obvious) down to the lake and do some fishing!?

shortdawg

I just grilled one of the best I've ever eaten. Rolled it in extra virgin olive oil, put some steak seasoning on it made by a local meat processing co., then cooked it over an open flame with pecan wood. The pecan wood is great to cook with and searing it over that extra hot flame seals in those juices !! Man it was great - no steak sauce or ketchup needed !!!!

Doc

shortdawg said:
I just grilled one of the best I've ever eaten. Rolled it in extra virgin olive oil, put some steak seasoning on it made by a local meat processing co., then cooked it over an open flame with pecan wood. The pecan wood is great to cook with and searing it over that extra hot flame seals in those juices !! Man it was great - no steak sauce or ketchup needed !!!!

I bet some fresh watermelon would have tasted good after that. I just wish you knew where to get some some at.

Telos

I'm one who thinks less is best when it comes to grilling steaks. That hot forceful heat of an open grill will only burn and make bitter most seasonings. I like to season my steaks after grilling with only minimum of seasonings or herbs. Sea Salt and fresh cracked pepper with some garlic oil is all that I need.

I train my kitchen staff and try to teach them the physical properties of this cooking method;

Grilling method of cooking, is using very hot forceful heat which allows meats to not get too hot in the center. If internal temperatures get too hot, technically the muscle fibers will coil around themselves which causes the steak to become less tender. This also helps the juices to stay inside. In other words, a steak will be more tender and juicier the faster it cooks. It is not good to constantly flip a steak from one side to another. This will cause the steak to cook slower and give the muscle fibers more time to coil. With this method of cooking, the grill should never be covered for this will steam the steak. Steam is the hottest most penetrating heat there is, and will also help give the fibers time to coil and become less tender. Steam also has a drying quality.

shortdawg

Telos, That's what I did with mine - cook it over an open flame fast, sealing in the juices.

Telos

Research shows you don't seal in the juices, but by cooking suitable cuts of meats faster keeps them from having a chance to get dehydrated.

Roasting method is a little different. There is slow roasting which is great for most suitable meats. Fast high heat roasting is great for vegetables. Searing beef roasts with high heat has shown not to help seal in juices. You just don't want to get a roast too hot internally and you want to let them rest in the oven. They will continue to cook  after they are taken out of the oven.

A number of years ago I helped to form a specified meat company by the name Chi-Lite Meats. It was based on using Chianina genetics. I researched just about every cooking method (besides cooking with liquid nitrogen) and which cuts work best with these methods. Long story short, the company never made it. I do think there can be a demand for some of these boutique meat companies though. Laura's Lean seems to be very successful.

bigdogcattle

One of the best steak seasonings I have every had is "Hickory Smoked Salt" by McCormick. They advertised it for pork (which was a big mistake). Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore because they started a different line of steak seasonings. Bummer!!

Jamie
http://BigDogCattle.com

bluffcountrycattle

We really like to use Cavender's greek seasoning...and use it on beef, pork and chicken.  Used to use lowrey's, but found this to be much better in our opinion...