Steeer will not eat hay?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Goinbroke

I have a steer that has just been weaned 23 days ago, he eats feed just fine and is putting on weight, but he WILL NOT eat hay!  I have tried prairie hay, Bermuda, crabgrass and timothy/brohme mix.  He will nibble at it, but that's it!  The heifers that I am feeding are eating it just fine no matter what type of hay I offer. Any suggestions on a type of hay to try or a trick to get this steer to eat what I already have. 

twistedhshowstock

First what kind of feed are you feeding and how are you offering the hay? Does he have access to pasture as well as the hay? If you are feeding a complete feed then from a nutritional standpoint he does not necessarily need the hay, just needs enough of it for roughage to keep his guy balanced.  If you are feeding a complete feed at a rate that keeps him somewhat full and he also has access to pasture he may simply be full and not want the hay. As long as the hay is good quality hay, I would say it really shouldnt matter what type you are feeding, I dont think changing type is going to make him eat it any better.

Goinbroke

I am feeding a good quailty feed with a filler.  So i understand what you are saying, now with that being said lets change gears a bit:  If the steer is getting enough nutrition from just his feed source and using a bit of hay for only ruffage, then should I be concerend with the amount of hay that the heifers are eating a day?  Basically should I assume they are not getting enough nutrition from just their feed?  Because the only time any of these heifers/steer have access to pasture is at night when they are turned out, even this is not much considering the drought we are having here. 

AAOK

Goinbroke said:
I have a steer that has just been weaned 23 days ago, he eats feed just fine and is putting on weight, but he WILL NOT eat hay!  I have tried prairie hay, Bermuda, crabgrass and timothy/brohme mix.  He will nibble at it, but that's it!  The heifers that I am feeding are eating it just fine no matter what type of hay I offer. Any suggestions on a type of hay to try or a trick to get this steer to eat what I already have.   

Absolutely no problem if the steer is getting a complete feed.  He will just start to develop good muscle sooner than the heifers.  There will come a time (probably too soon) when you will have to limit his hay intake.

rackranch

He is not hungry...try skipping a day of feeding and offer him hay...

in the future, if the calve has not been on a grain diet i would start him on a full hay diet then bring him on feed

HAB

if your steer does not have loose stool, I wouldn't worry about it.  He just likes your complete feed better.  He is just a little more feed efficient, and doesn't require any extra roughage.