Steer fat around tailhead

Help Support Steer Planet:

I have a show steer that has softball sized pockets of fat on the sides of his tailhead. It looks really ugly and I wanted to know if there is a way to get rid of them. I've done some research but I haven't found much. Please help. Thanks!

cowman 52

In the dark ages we took a rolling pin and rolled the pockets into a less prominent shape.  Got to be determined but it will help.

RyanChandler

You can't spot reduce fat.  Reducing the energy level of his ration is the only way you're going to lean him out.  This is a double edge sword as some animals will pile on pone fat prior to having enough rib cover.  Make sure your calf has adequate finish elsewhere (brisket, ribs, etc.) before trying to cut him down.

Simmgal

-XBAR- said:
You can't spot reduce fat.  Reducing the energy level of his ration is the only way you're going to lean him out.  This is a double edge sword as some animals will pile on pone fat prior to having enough rib cover.  Make sure your calf has adequate finish elsewhere (brisket, ribs, etc.) before trying to cut him down.

I agree. You cant spot reduce fat, on people or cattle. Boy I sure wish we could!  (lol)

Only way to make any kind of fat go away is to reduce the energy in his feed, as XBAR stated above.

The steer is a Brangus/Hereford crossbreed. He had the finish we wanted on his body. How do we reduce the energy in his feed? We tried the rolling pin idea and it is helping. The fat doesn't look as puffy. The show is next week, but we think he will look really good by then. Thanks for the help!

Simmgal

EagleCreekCattle said:
The steer is a Brangus/Hereford crossbreed. He had the finish we wanted on his body. How do we reduce the energy in his feed? We tried the rolling pin idea and it is helping. The fat doesn't look as puffy. The show is next week, but we think he will look really good by then. Thanks for the help!

First of all, what are you feeding him?

We are feeding him Excel Grower/Finisher 12lb a day. We also give him some alfalfa and hay. He only drinks water with refresh (electrolyte supplement) in it.

CAB

If you have his body fat where you want it I would say the best thing that you can do now is use the rolling pin if you think that is helping. I would not change your feeding routine very much other than to possibly assure that he may keep his appetite during the transition period to the show day. JMO