Steer Feeding Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

willow

We have a couple of steers that need to put on some fat.  They are currently on a complete feed and we have access to soybean oil.  Can we add soybean oil to their ration?  If so how much/day?  Any other suggestions are welcome  :)

flacowman

What percent fat, protein, and fiber in your current ration?  What do the calves weigh now and what is your target weight and date for them?  With any oil I like to start slow, about a half cup per feeding and increase to different amounts depending on how hard I need to push a calf

willow

They are on
Protein 13%
Fat 5%
Fiber 12%

and good quality grass hay.

CAB

willow said:
They are on
Protein 13%
Fat 5%
Fiber 12%

and good quality grass hay.

How many lbs of hay per head per day? Two lbs per head per day is enough. Physically take 2 lbs of hay measure it on a scale so that you know what 2 lbs of hay looks like.  It's not much. 5% fat  should be plenty. More than that will make your calves loose stooled. How many lbs of feed per head per day of your ration  are the cattle consuming and what are their current weights?

HGC

Drop down to 11 or 11.5 protein.  Excess protein can burn some fat.  5% fat should be enough, but if you want to add some more, do not add more than .25#.

Scott

willow

I will have to weigh their hay.  I can tell you they are getting about two flakes each/day..more than they need I am guessing by reading what you all posted :)
They are both big framed fellas one is 1288 the other is 1150 now.  The bigger of the two probably needs to be at about 1400 in 70 days.  They are both eating 18 lb/day of the ration. 
I am worried about making their stools any looser, because it already seems to be an issue.  Could I add oats to help that?  If so how many/head/day?  Thank you all for all the comments and help! 

vc

I would think you are light on the ration, they should be getting at least close to 2% of their body weight in grain you are feeding 1.4 % (I do not go over 25 pounds a day myself) but at their weight they both should be consuming 25 pounds each a day (I am assuming you are not holding either animal based off of your question)
Work them up to it slowly, adding pro-biotics to their feed to keep their guts in check.