steer goes loco...help!

Help Support Steer Planet:

katie_k

My steer used to be just the sweetest easy going animal ever but now hes getting close to finishing and our fair is at the end of July and he is acting up majorly. Hes getting in the habbit of kicking up his heals and taking off or trying to show me around.  Hes getting to big for me to really stop him or even get him fully under control.  I can tell when hes about to act up because he will start grinding his teeth and snorting so I just brace my Burt against the front of his shoulder and try to keep control of his head all while staying ancourd to the ground.  He started doing this out of the blue.  One day he was walking amazing as ever and the next he was a complete pill.  Idk what to do.  I'm looking for natural, nothing I have to feed him such as pasted or pellets, way to help control him and turn this bad habbit around.  Please help!

shorthornmn

Absolutely don't tie him to a tractor. That often makes things worse with cattle like that. Start over with him. Tie him and lead him to water and feed. Try the pressure and release system with him. Is he in a small pen all day Or does he go out on pasture at night Or a big enough lot for exercise? Don't give up on him. If u aren't big enough Or strong enough have some help from someone who is but make it clear that they aren't to hit the animal. If u hit them in that situation they just freak out worse and they will have a bad experience on the halter. That leads to a bigger disaster the next time out. U could also try tying his head up for an hour Or two every day, but make sure you are there to watch him so he doesn't lay down and hurt himself. That often makes them keep their head up when you are walking them and gives you more control. You could also try walking him with a show halter Or a metal breaking halter on. Good luck!

GoWyo

Let him into a larger area to exercise and burn off some excess energy before trying to lead and work him.  That will help take the edge off of him.  We take a horse longe whip and drive ours around the roping arena 5 or 6 laps at least 3 or 4 times per week.  When they have to walk far enough that it feels like work to them, they are really happy to be caught, set up in their show poses, and get scratched with the show stick.

obie105

Make sure he gets turn out time. Also he has probably figured out that he is big and that he can do this. If he has gotten away from you he is going to continue doing what he can do keep getting away. Go back to spending time with him being tied up like mentioned and above all else sont get hurt. Take your time and hopefully he will come back around for you.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Justin69.o said:
Tie him to a tractor and drag him around

_952-.png

twistedhshowstock

Several things, first I agree with everyone on here, as he grows he needs more space for excersise, is he getting that? Could be the issue.
Second, you stated that he used to be the sweetest thing.  I often here this statement from people that always babied and pampered their calves, which I am not saying is bad, but they often let these calves learn bad habbits because they never really teach them manners and respect.  In these instances the calf isnt necessarily acting out, he just thinks your another cow basically, you never taught him to respect you so now he is just growing up and part of what he is doing he may think is playing the other part is part of cattle maturing is natural bullying to determine who is boss, if you have a group of calves that have ALWAYS been together you wont see this as much because they just accept that the one that was always leader will always be leader.  May be that he never truly respected you and is now challenging your authority.
Third, it is not uncommon for this to happen with steers, if he isnt flat out being mean, it could just be extra energy.  As we get closer to show time we feed a higher energy feed because energy is stored as fat, feeding a hotter/higher energy feed often means animals with more energy which can be a little unruly.
Regardless it all is corrected the same, the tractor is pretty much inefective for all situations. The only thing I have ever had success with a tractor is one that just refuses to move, it does nothing for one that is trying to take off which it sounds like yours is doing. First you have to get his attention.  Use your showstick, when he tries to take off pop him on the nose with it to get his attention.  Also dont get frustrated and give up and quit working with him while he is acting up, this reinforces his bad behavior and lets him know that he is going to be left alone if he acts that way.  Always keep working until he is doing something correctly before you quit for the session, this way you are reinforcing what you want him to do and not the bad behavior.

chiangus

twistedhshowstock said:
Several things, first I agree with everyone on here, as he grows he needs more space for excersise, is he getting that? Could be the issue.
Second, you stated that he used to be the sweetest thing.  I often here this statement from people that always babied and pampered their calves, which I am not saying is bad, but they often let these calves learn bad habbits because they never really teach them manners and respect.  In these instances the calf isnt necessarily acting out, he just thinks your another cow basically, you never taught him to respect you so now he is just growing up and part of what he is doing he may think is playing the other part is part of cattle maturing is natural bullying to determine who is boss, if you have a group of calves that have ALWAYS been together you wont see this as much because they just accept that the one that was always leader will always be leader.  May be that he never truly respected you and is now challenging your authority.
Third, it is not uncommon for this to happen with steers, if he isnt flat out being mean, it could just be extra energy.  As we get closer to show time we feed a higher energy feed because energy is stored as fat, feeding a hotter/higher energy feed often means animals with more energy which can be a little unruly.
Regardless it all is corrected the same, the tractor is pretty much inefective for all situations. The only thing I have ever had success with a tractor is one that just refuses to move, it does nothing for one that is trying to take off which it sounds like yours is doing. First you have to get his attention.  Use your showstick, when he tries to take off pop him on the nose with it to get his attention.  Also dont get frustrated and give up and quit working with him while he is acting up, this reinforces his bad behavior and lets him know that he is going to be left alone if he acts that way.  Always keep working until he is doing something correctly before you quit for the session, this way you are reinforcing what you want him to do and not the bad behavior.

Spot on, trying to work it out with brute force is not always the best answer.

cowman 52

The calf is bored out of his mind---go out and catch your biggest retired show cow and yoke his halter to her.  She will be big enough to keep h.I'm from running off with you until you can break him of the habit.  O know it's hard to do BUT turn him out with the cows for a half a day -bet you 5 he will be back at the barn wanting his munchies before too long. 
  When you yoke them together keep them BOTH on the same side away from you.  If he bolts she will circle him back so do not get where th rope will get you. 
  Boredom starts a LOT of troublr

Heiferboy4640

Hey I kinda have the same problem but this is where it gets different. She is fine around me works well and behaves but when any body else comes around she goes nuts and tries every thing to get away what can I do for this?