Steer is shedding out.... week before fair.

Help Support Steer Planet:

WBar Farms

When i pull at the hair hair comes out so I assume he is shedding out.  9 days left what can I do?

WBar Farms

The steer has really thick and long hair, so when I pull some out you can't even tell really but I'm worried that it will just get worse.  Since he has such long and thing hair I think he has a particaly dry hair coat but its so dang tough getting in there.  I put revive in everynight  but not alot since I know it holds the heat.  Also the coolers gone up to about 50 55 instead of 40 45 now since I don't want to stress him.  Should I keep it down and not do that yet to try to slow it down?  Should I just take a grill brick out and get some of it out.  Not sure what to do.

advocate

The revive coupled with temp change is the problem put some conditioner in your sheen and use that keeps hair healthy without the oil and heat buildup rinse an extra time or two and ice water about 3 times a day chill him then blow dry water creates a heat blanket and brush brush brush

advocate

No rinsing will keep him cold to keep the hair you have left to try to save it also make sure its dark by turning up temp you made his body think it was spring and time to shed stay with dark and rinsing

chambero

When they start shedding leave them
Alone and dont mess with hair any more than you havr to till
Show

WBar Farms

So your sayin I should just freeze his but off cause I could get it back to 40 if I have to.  He doesn't loose much when i comb and brush on him but when you pinch it and pull it easily comes out. 

smo

simple fix.. dont pull on the hair and it wont come off :) or pull it all out put it in a bag and glue it all back on at fair :)

showsteerdlux

stkrdge said:
he should come out of the cooler if its only a week before your fair.
I agree with that. You'll have even bigger problems going from 55 to 95 if you dont go ahead and get him used to it. Also forget the revive, that stuff is bad news for a thick haired calf. His hair needs to breath and revive is to thick for that

If he is shedding out you absolutely do not want to brush or come the calf an any way. When this problem occurs to me I put them under a Mister and that's it. Don't even wash him.
good luck

angus214

We had a heifer do the same thing! I ran water on her 3 times a day and used mane and tail conditoner put it in a bucket and then fill with water and poor down back once a day. and she did fine. Good Luck