Steer just won't eat

Help Support Steer Planet:

steerjunkie

I need help
I have a steer that we have tried almost everything to get him to eat.
Probiotics, Changed feed, Showmaster to Show Rite wormed, Glu coat, Electrolytes, Reduced Hay, Reduced ration and tried to slowly bring him back on feed, getting frustrated any help would be great. He is just a picky eater

rackranch

Just pick a feed and forget about the rest.  Halter him, put feed out, give him 30 minutes to clean it up and then take it from him.  Do this am/pm, when he gets hungry and starts to realize he better eat while he has a chance then it will help.

How old is the steer, what does he weigh, and when is his end point.

rrblack78

[/fontOurs was a Feb 12 calf, end date Mar 27. A little on the young side but to be eligible for our county bred program the animal has to be born after Jan 1. He got to 1150 and just quit. We tried the probiotics every day for a week, worming, every paste, pour on and supplement we could find. He went from 28lbs+ a day and rice bran and beet pulp at every feeding to a few handfuls of Producers heifer grower. At the end date he was up to about 12lbs a day of the heifer feed. He completely went off finisher. I would be interested in knowing too if there are any tricks we didn't try in case this happens in the future.

SlickTxMaine

Since we started feeding Vita Firm Sure Champ several years ago, we have not had this problem. Might try that although you don't have much time left.