steer laying down

Help Support Steer Planet:

JTRed

This is my first year in the 4-H steer project.  We picked out a nice Maine cross steer but he was too wild for me.  I weighted in a red angus steer that is a lot tamer.  I have been working with him on the weekends for the last month.  When my Dad and I lead him he lays down and will not get up.  Dad says that we will wait and see what everyones advice is before getting the hot shot. 

When we halter him he will lay down when we get close and we have tried several differnt halter.  Please help the first spring show is about 4 weeks away.

TT

Ruebush Show Calves

Is he sound it may heart to walk.If I was you I would pull him with a tactor so he has to walk but first I would just us the hot shot.Thanks Erik

BIGTEX

I wouldn't use a tractor either. You might have to work with him more than just weekends to lead. I have had stubborn ones lay down before, he'll get over it.

yousesteers

dont use a tractor that ruins one faster than anything tie him with his head up for a couple of hours lead him to water if he acts good quit and do it again the next day. if he act bad tie him back up for another hour and so on I have done this to several stubborn ones and all seem to finally get better it may take a couple of weeks with 5 or 6 hours of being tied up a day but eventually they always come around if they refuse to walk have some on behind them to twist there tail and just keep working with them. dont with hold the water for over 8 hours if it is cool and about 4 if it is hot you dont want him to go off feed or anything just reward the good behavior

JTRed

We catch him every mornig feed inside the fan cage.  I tie him high (using a sullivan's fan cage) before leaving for school. My Mom ties lower before lunch so they can lay down.  We have had this routine for about a month.  Both heifer and steer are really gentle and sound. During the week  Dad works with them when its nice before turning them out.... same problem with the steer Grandpa gets behind him is better but not for long.  Have slapped, twisted tail...rolled over right after washing :(  
Wont use a tractor.  how about a donkey?  steer is 925 +/-  It just seems like he gets upset and lays down.  Today was in the same place with the halter off for 4 hours .  Its hard to have any fun when he is in the middle of the pen laying down.

GoWyo

You don't say whether he walks just fine when not on a halter.  If he does walk fine and is perfectly sound, it sounds like he has figured out that he doesn't have to do anything if he just lays down and endures the tail twisting and slapping.  If he is sound and perfectly capable of walking, then your options are to try the tie up and water reward method and keep at it.  If all else fails, it may be time for the hot shot - very conservatively.  Hate to hot shot a show steer, but if it is the only option left, then you have to try something.  Hot shots do have their place to gain respect and get balky cattle to move and, in my opinion, (for what it is worth) can be way more humane than whacking them with a stick or poking them or twisting their tail until the cartilage pops.  Be careful he doesn't get up and run off - that might be the next trick he will try.  Good luck. 

doublej

JT try having your Dad lead your other calf while you follow behind with your steer. Also try leading your calves in an outside area....We had a heifer that would flip herself when led by herself but when we led them as a group she would follow just fine. By show season she was walking by herself just fine. Good Luck!

CAB

Cup your hand over his nostrils, he'll get up. He may figure out how to breath through his mouth also, but if not, he'll get up. Does he lead well up until the time he lays down? Brent

SWMO

Agree with CAB,  amazing how fast they quit sulling when their air is cut off.

Is he sound?  Does he walk out well when turned out with out a halter on.

steer-guy

If he is sound and just being stubborn, maybe a permanent nose ring will get his attention and change his mind about laying down.

Rocky Hill Simmental

A few years ago I had a crossbred heifer that would just lay down when it was hot outside (I guess she was tired). My dad would get behind her and twist her tail and she'd get up again like nothing happened. She didn't try it at the fair luckly.  ;)

One of the funniest times is when she layed down on the side our driveway and these guys in a truck drove up while laughing and one of them said, "Want me to shoot that lazy cow for you?"  (lol) I think they just found it amusing that was talking a heifer for a walk.

I wouldn't recommend using a hot shot on him though. A bull snap should get the done if you're worried he'll do it during the show (It'll remind him who's boss).