steer not gaing

Help Support Steer Planet:

vc

Zack I'm sure he would like him to eat  30 pounds a day, he is currently not finishing 20 pounds a day.

CAB

I've been following along and have been thinking 2 things and don't know if either thoughts are right, but as always every time someone asks a question about feed or calf not gaining they get an overwhelming amount of advice that I think may make things worse than if we didn't say anything. Regular feeding times are important and when we switch things up, it must be very gradual. When we add all of these "super duper" miracle supplements does anyone think of how this changes the ration as far as being balanced? I think that this calf may be is getting too much protein and therefore is shutting down as far as consumption is concerned B/C he is getting all of the protein he can handle without consuming enough calories. Are his stools loose, if so it can be an indicator of too high of protein levels. Also great 2nd cutting alfalfa hay is too good for what you are trying to do as far as roughage is concerned as someone else mentioned. I would also recommend the magnet. We put magnets in all of our breeding cattle. Today's cattle eat a bunch of highly processed feeds over their life span, cheap insurance.

oakridgefarms

CAB said:
I've been following along and have been thinking 2 things and don't know if either thoughts are right, but as always every time someone asks a question about feed or calf not gaining they get an overwhelming amount of advice that I think may make things worse than if we didn't say anything. Regular feeding times are important and when we switch things up, it must be very gradual. When we add all of these "super duper" miracle supplements does anyone think of how this changes the ration as far as being balanced? I think that this calf may be is getting too much protein and therefore is shutting down as far as consumption is concerned B/C he is getting all of the protein he can handle without consuming enough calories. Are his stools loose, if so it can be an indicator of too high of protein levels. Also great 2nd cutting alfalfa hay is too good for what you are trying to do as far as roughage is concerned as someone else mentioned. I would also recommend the magnet. We put magnets in all of our breeding cattle. Today's cattle eat a bunch of highly processed feeds over their life span, cheap insurance.

hes only getting 13% protein same feed ration all my other steers have been on none of them had issues, and its not alfaha its just grass hay, i ment good as in not rained on or molding

vc

Was he eating and gaining before? or have you been dealing with this the whole time you have been feeding him?

Did you take him temp to see if it was normal?

oakridgefarms

vc said:
Was he eating and gaining before? or have you been dealing with this the whole time you have been feeding him?

Did you take him temp to see if it was normal?
ya he was eating before and gaining about 3 lbs a day from dec to now. yes took temp checked for bloating, we've wormed. tried limiting his hay so he had to eat his grain. gave him vitimins (b12) thought he might be defficent that didnt do anything either

obie105

Does he have something to eat with? A little competition for feed might help. if you can feed him in a bunk for a couple of days and make him compete for his feed he might decide he has to eat or he won't get any of it.

GoWyo

RLFA - we have one in the same boat.  He needs a little more condition and just shut down about 10 days ago.  We started crock potting corn and then mixing it with the regular feed and putting molasses on it.  Didn't want to eat it at first, but we would feed about 1 pound and let him lick it up, then put another pound in the bunk and let him lick it up and so on until he eats about 10 pounds of it each feeding (we started with about 3 pounds and worked him up).  We also put in some probios each feeding to make sure his gut is right.  It is a pain in the butt, but he is almost there and every little bit helps.

bird_dog

I would give him some Probios gel and try adding a couple of handfuls of winning fill to his feed. This has worked for me in the past. I would give him maybe 6lbs of feed each feeding and the winning fill and see how this works out. If he cleans it up continue to add a little more feed until you are where you want to be. I would not feed him any hay either. Like i said this has worked for me and maybe it will for you.

oakridgefarms

GoWyo said:
RLFA - we have one in the same boat.  He needs a little more condition and just shut down about 10 days ago.  We started crock potting corn and then mixing it with the regular feed and putting molasses on it.  Didn't want to eat it at first, but we would feed about 1 pound and let him lick it up, then put another pound in the bunk and let him lick it up and so on until he eats about 10 pounds of it each feeding (we started with about 3 pounds and worked him up).  We also put in some probios each feeding to make sure his gut is right.  It is a pain in the butt, but he is almost there and every little bit helps.

were in canada we cant get pro bios or centin feed supplements cant be shipped her i tried through sullivans

oakridgefarms

obie105 said:
Does he have something to eat with? A little competition for feed might help. if you can feed him in a bunk for a couple of days and make him compete for his feed he might decide he has to eat or he won't get any of it.
ya hes in with 4 other calves

vc

The mill may have changed something in the feed or used a new batch of something he does not like. Try the new batch to see if he eats it.
If he does not eat the new batch I would try a different feed, . If you get a new feed just get one bag and try about 2 pounds to see if he has any interest in it or see if the feed mill or feed store has any loose bags so you can get a couple pounds of different types to try. I would not try any more than 2 pounds in the morning, if he eats it try it again in the evening, if he eats it again I would slowly start changing his feed, if not try the next the following day.

It's been a while since I read the whole post does he eat his hay? If yes then I would think it is the feed, if not I would start to think there is something wrong internally.
It might be time to call a vet and ask him to look at him or do some test.

oakridgefarms

vc said:
The mill may have changed something in the feed or used a new batch of something he does not like. Try the new batch to see if he eats it.
If he does not eat the new batch I would try a different feed, . If you get a new feed just get one bag and try about 2 pounds to see if he has any interest in it or see if the feed mill or feed store has any loose bags so you can get a couple pounds of different types to try. I would not try any more than 2 pounds in the morning, if he eats it try it again in the evening, if he eats it again I would slowly start changing his feed, if not try the next the following day.

It's been a while since I read the whole post does he eat his hay? If yes then I would think it is the feed, if not I would start to think there is something wrong internally.
It might be time to call a vet and ask him to look at him or do some test.
Correct he still eats his hay and drinks water

Latest posts