steer not gaining

Help Support Steer Planet:

jrhea

ok I have a 700 pound steer . I am feeding him a 13.79% protein 2.5% fat grower ration he will eat 15 pounds a day also on free choice hay and grass . he is not gaining at all only put on 5 pounds in a month . any help would be great

vc

A few things, are you positive on the starting weight, has he been wormed, what is he dung like?
If you can weigh him at the same time of day, this way your weight is more consistent, if he has not been wormed worm him, he should be getting between 14 to 21 pound of feed a day, but if he only gained 5 lbs in a month, it is not a consumption problem it is something else. If you can see what he weighs in a week, to see if he is gaining at all.

utshowgirl

If it was me I would first worm him, second I would start him on some sort of probiotic for rumen health.  I would also up your fat content to 3.5-4%. I hope this helps.

okiegirl

Do you feed Surechamp?  You might try putting him on that.  We have two steers heading to Tulsa in about 60 days.  WE are slowly cutting back on feed and adding rolled steamed barley for finish.  I have also cut back (not completely) on hay.  If they don't clean up their feed we limit hay and grass.  It's working for us and we adjust daily.  I stress over the calves more than the kids sometimes lol