Steer or Heifer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

angus kid

In the fall of 2012 i am looking at getting my first calf and i was looking or some input on what i should do...my budget will probably allow for a calf that is not terribly expensive...so i was wondering if i should get a steer or heifer? All advice is greatly appreciated.

angus kid

I want to have a larger herd in the future but right now i am just looking at having one or two animals. I dont perfer one over the other i would be ok having either.

Simmgal

If you start with a heifer, you can keep her and show her next year, and then show her calves. If you are looking to grow your herd in the future, I would say get a heifer. You can always show her steer calves and you can breed her to what you want!

angus kid

OK.. thanks for the advice...is there a breed that would be suggested? and how much would a heifer cost?

Shadow Hill Farm

I would recommend either Angus or Simmy to start with. That's just my IMO. Cost whys is just like everything else. The more you spend the better you get. A good Angus heifer in my area starts about 1100 and up. Do some talking to people in your area and see if there are any sales coming up. There are online sales too. Here's a couple to get you started. Good luck to you.
http://www.breedersworldonlinesales.com/cattle/index.html
http://www.cwcattlesales.com/

shortii

I understand the heifer idea that everyone is suggesting, but I would start with a steer to see if you even like it at first. That way its not so long term if you decide it's not something for you. But if you have worked with cattle and have helped people out I would suggest a heifer. Also with a steer your profit on selling him will be quicker. But with a heifer you will most likely make more money in the long run. All things I would suggest thinking through before you make your decision.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Heifer because you want to start your own herd. If its your first time doing a steer you will probably lose your butt on a terminal animal. Unless some how you do well and make sale and make enough money to buy a heifer and a steer next year. Which from my experience most first timers lose money on their steers when they get the gate and have to load it on the truck. Although if you do buy an over priced heifer and then decide you don't want to do this anymore you could be disappointed to find out that your heifer might not be worth what you gave for her if you don't do well. Decisions..Decisions..
<cowboy>

Simmgal

My vote is still with a heifer. If you don't like it, you can sell her to someone as a replacement female who will have calves for them. As far as breeds, I would also say Herefords or Simmentals are good to start with. Herefords are very calm and easy to work with, and they make good mothers. Simmentals are also fairly easy to work with, but not as easy as Herefords and not as wild as some other breeds. They also make good mothers and Simangus cross calves are in high demand. You could always get a crossbred heifer as she will most likely be cheaper. For just starting out, any calm animal that is easy to work with is a top priority. I wouldn't worry about breeds as much as I would the attitude of the animal.

twistedhshowstock

My advice based on what you have said, and basically my advice to everyone is a heifer.  Unless you are only showing at a smaller not super competitive county show that has a sale, then maybe you can make a steer work.  But the steer shows can be brutal, it can be super expensive to get one ready, and then you have to make the sale and you are basically stuck if he doesnt make the sale.  If you buy a heifer that is quality enough to show then you will at least have something to sell as a replacement and not totally lose everything on.
As far as price, yes I believe if you are going to have something to be show quality then you are going to spend at least $1,000 if not $1,500 at a minimum.  But there are always some steals out there, my advice is always talk to some people, find someone you trust that has a background in the industry that is good at prospecting calves and shop around.  I can typically find a bunch of really good buys on really good cattle every year because they are green and people simply dont know how to prospect them out.  Or they think that they wont grow hair when the calf has been on pasture in 100 degree heat and if you put it in a cooler like the big fluffy pretty ones in a lot of these sales it will have as much if not more hair.
As far as breed, your gonna have every breed in the book thrown out there, because there are breeders of each breed that are partial.  Personally I can see the value and purpose for just about every breed.  I think in choosing a breed you have to stop and consider what your ultimate goal is, and find the breed that best fits it.  If your ultimate goal is show cattle and you dont have a breed preference, then I think the best thing for you to do(especially on a budget) is throw breed out the window and go out there and find the best calf you can possibly find in your price range and buy it, regardless of breed.  If you are thinking you ultimately want to produce show steers, then I would probably swing a little more in the direction of an exotic type breed.  Shorthorn Plus, MaineTainer, Chi, etc.  Your more likely to find the phenotype you want in those breeds if that is what your looking to do, plus there are a lot more breeding options out there.  I know I will probably make a lot of people mad out there by saying this, and trust me I have nothing against any of these breeds.  But if I were on a budget there are a few breeds I tend to stay away from  Angus(very very competitive breed shows, can be kinda cut throat, the ones that win are gonna have a ton of money behind them, and my personal experience is they are one of the most political breeds out there.) If your in the south, the Brahmans can be the same way.  Not saying that the blind squirrel doesnt sneak in those breeds and get the nut sometimes, but its not typically how it goes. 
My advice, heifer has more options and opportunity for you in the long run, you can show for 2 yrs instead of just one. As for breed, unless you are partial to one then find the best calf you can for the money you can spend and dont worry about what breed it is, just make sure you have shows for those breeds in your area.  Lastly, shop around, dont go buy the first pretty calf you find that is in your price range, and dont just buy a calf because it is in your price range.  Even if a calf is under your price range, if it is a complete  train wreck within your budget, then you are gonna lose it in the nd anyway,, and you wont be happy or enjoy what you are doing.

JacksonHewitt

According to me as you have long term plan than u should for a steer it will definitely give you more benefit n profit.
My votes is for steer.

RankeCattleCo

We have a nice Milkman x PB Angus that only ran us $2250.  If you're looking for something to keep and to breed I would def. go with a calf that has 50% or more Angus.  Try to stay away from major club calf genetics as it lowers your breeding possibilities and they don't tend to turn out as good cows as those more maternal breeds, IMO.

BadgerFan

Research which breed has the best Junior Association in your state. Judging by your moniker, I'm guessing you have a preference for Angus.  Most states have good Angus Associations.  Get involved in it. It'll open a lot of doors for you, help you meet outstanding people, allow you to learn about cattle and possibly provide career options down the road.  Don't sweat the small stuff , have fun and tell your parents Thank You.

simmyman67

I've bought a calf for $800 before, so you can find really good deals sometimes.

Simmgal

simmyman67 said:
I've bought a calf for $800 before, so you can find really good deals sometimes.
Agree. I had a County fair winnter that was $750. You just have to look around. You might be able to find a breeder in your area that has commercial cattle that would sell you a heifer at market value. Any way you choose, good luck with showing! Have fun!  ;D (thumbsup)

angus214

I would say an Angus heifer. My son shows Angus and they have great programs for y'all. not sure where you are from but your local Jr Angus or Angus Association will probably be glad to help you.