Steer Planet - Frontier Justice - VOTE HERE!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Do you support members being able to issue infractions to other members?

• Yes

Votes: 50 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 35 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jason

First of all, I am not going to pull posts or delete threads unless it is vulgar, racist, xxx, libel, or contains personal information (posted without permission).

However, with our rapid growth of new members (200+ a month), it seems there is a yahoo or two in that bunch that want nothing more than to troll the board and cause trouble.

So, in effect it would allow all the members to have more of a role in self-policing the situation.  My only reservation is people trying to police an opinion that is contrary to theirs.

Example

A member joins steerplanet and immediately starts personally attacking another member, other members respond by issuing infractions, once a threshold is met, the member is banned for a specific time.  I would only overrule if I felt the person was just stating their opinion, even though it might run against the grain.

For instance, in a PETA thread, if a person was stating their case why PETA is so great, I would guarantee steerplanet would drop the gavel so fast it would make their head spin.  However, if a person is respectfully doing so, it is definitely not something that needs to be policed.

Like any of my polls, majority rules.  If people are in favor, it will take me a while to come up with something because I do think there is a direct modification as of right now.

Chap

i would like to offer an alternative.  if you see a blatently disreprectful reply or thread, do us all a favor and simply do not reply.  These instigators are merely looking for attention and to pick a fight.  treat them like the juveniles they are and don't give them the satisfaction. 
I am afraid that sanctions being lobbeyed by the general public will hurt some of the honest opinions expressed on the planet. 

jason

Chap said:
i would like to offer an alternative.  if you see a blatently disreprectful reply or thread, do us all a favor and simply do not reply.  These instigators are merely looking for attention and to pick a fight.  treat them like the juveniles they are and don't give them the satisfaction. 
I am afraid that sanctions being lobbeyed by the general public will hurt some of the honest opinions expressed on the planet. 

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.  The best way to make it a non issue is to ignore the bait.

I worry about the same thing, that is why it would be ultimately the moderators discretion so that unfavorable opinions don't get pushed by the wayside.  But, we still have moderator intervention, so are we actually gaining anything?

Also people please use the "report to moderator" buttons, when you hit that button it alerts all the moderators of the problem post.  We look at every report.

ELBEE

You've allready got the karma meter, to me that speaks volumes.

Maybe when karma points are negative limit to one response per subject. Not banned, just limited!

I don't know, I hate rules!

We went to see Alice in Wonderland yesterday, the Red Queen was pretty handy at screaming "Off with their heads".  ;D

PRO

I think we should just let Knabe make fun of them.  I thoroughly enjoyed his banter with Gangreen.  It seems gangreen's handle was quite telling; it may have been the most creative thought he has had.

Bone2011

PRO said:
I think we should just let Knabe make fun of them.  I thoroughly enjoyed his banter with Gangreen.  It seems gangreen's handle was quite telling; it may have been the most creative thought he has had.
haha  him or zach!

Torch

Jason the posts are reminding me of how it use to sound on Breeders World before it went down hill. The personal attacks and negativity killed that board. And I would imagine a few of those posters have found their way here. I left there because of it. It saddens me that it is beginning to be more than an occasional outburst on SP.

Hopefully, you have caught it early enough that it will be short lived.

justintime

This is a good topic, however, it is a topic that can be looked at with different views. I think there are times when each person on here sees a comment that we think is offensive, or just in poor taste. Many other people will think these same comments are OK.  Of course, I think everyone can figure out the ones that are just here to cause trouble.

I guess I prefer Jason using his own judgment and deleting comments and threads that he thinks are offensive or rude. There will always be differences of opinion, and I think that it is actually important to let people express their opinions as long as they do it with acceptable language. Of course, everyone does not have the same level of tolerance , and what is offensive and rude to one person is not to someone else. I am just afraid that if there are too many rules people will become afraid to express themselves, and SP will die of natural causes. This forum has been a success because of the level of debate and information it has provided.

I remember the Breeders World days and I while I stayed out of the debates for the most part, I remember wondering what I did wrong when my very first comment was deleted. I expressed my thoughts on that dreaded topic, TH and PHA, and it was removed almost immediately. To this day, I do not believe I did anything but express my opinion. I would leave everything exactly as it is now, until the time that problems become more of an issue.

Show Heifer

It is common sense that the more people you get in any one place at any one time (SP 24/7) you will have different personalities and we will all not get along. There is a difference between disrespectful argueing, and disagreeing. I enjoy differences in opinion. I enjoy seeing "the other side", as long as no one expects me to change my opinion!!
We have enough "police" on here to run anyone away that they so chose to, without any "votes". Heck, I know of a few that left simply due to the harassment they took for stating their opinion. A few ganged up on them, so off they went, took their opinions and left.  
So, it can be done without anymore "holier than thou" rules.  (I also know of a few that have more than one name so they can be both "good and bad")

So lets just leave it be. Its kinda like a real community, things will take care of themselves.

Jill

I voted no, our moderators have been able to keep most of the really ugly stuff in check and I don't see any reason that would change, if I have a real problem with something I just email the moderator, haven't had to do that in a really long time.

forcheyhawk

I think you need to have some police.  As much as I hate to say that.  Maybe you designate a few more people or something, but I think it needs to be.  I wouldn't rely on the community to drive these people away through 50 or 60 flaming posts as it will begin to take over the board.  I've seen it happen on a few sports message boards I frequent.  It takes away from the topics that we all come here for and makes this such a great site.  JMO

jason

A halfway point might be adding a couple moderators without going into a self policing system.  We don't have too many problems, and the problems that we do have are caused by people that I could count on one hand.

Let me reiterate, to please use the "report to moderator" link, as it sends an email to all moderators.

Show Heifer

Jason, many can't remember, but at one time we had a few moderators and "poof" they were gone.  Who exactly are the moderators now? Are you hiring "new" moderators?

cpubarn

Is there a way to drop a post, two pages back?  If someone is just causing trouble could the vote of 5 people, "bury" it?

Then they wouldn't get the attention?

jason

cpubarn said:
Is there a way to drop a post, two pages back?  If someone is just causing trouble could the vote of 5 people, "bury" it?

Then they wouldn't get the attention?

that would be awesome, there is no way to do that without changing the time stamp for the thread