Steer Q

Help Support Steer Planet:

willow

We have a steer that has very, very loose stools and has had from the beginning and it doesn't seem to matter what he is eating.  I see this being a fitting nightmare.  Does anyone have any ideas.  We have done Bolus' we have done probios we have tried beet pulp (helped slightly but we had to feed him to much before it made a noticeable difference). 

willow

The roughage that we feed is medium quality grass hay.  He has been wormed and we just wormed him again.

Cattle7

I can relate. My steer last year was this way. From the time he hit about 600 pounds till the time I sold him he was a complete living hell. We tried EVERYTHING! Nothing worked. I even took some into the vet to be looked at and nothing. Between us and the vet, we finally came to the conclusion that there is something in one of those shots that you give them at 6 months of age that prevents this. But of course its too late. Honestly you are beating your head against a wall. Sorry to be the bear of bad news. I can honestly relate. Last year was terrible for me. I was never so glad to get rid of that steer!

nobody

We also had the same problem last year, we also tried probios and beet pulp.  We ended up giving him vitaferm...it comes in a tube.  It took a few weeks but he firmed up and was fine.

willow

Thank you nobody.  I will go get me some and give 'er a try!