steer that tracks narrow

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

My son's steer tracks narrow on his hind legs when he walks. He can get him set up wide enough for a good rear view but when you watch him walk from behind, he is to narrow. Anything we can do to make him track wider when he walks?

Thanks    DLZ

rtmcc

Find a real good hoof trimmer that knows what they are doing.  They can gradually widen out their stance and walk if the calf is sound to start with.  Sometimes it takes a little feed to widen them out thru out also.

jtho3c

Sometimes you just have steers that are great when you buy em (or wean them). Then they end up being narrow tracking. I agree with rtmcc, if you have a great hood trimmer, describe the problem to him or her before they start. However, feeding them harder or even at the same rate can make it worse until they are corrected.

tlcattle

rtmcc said:
Find a real good hoof trimmer that knows what they are doing.  They can gradually widen out their stance and walk if the calf is sound to start with.  Sometimes it takes a little feed to widen them out thru out also.

i agree i had one that did this also and after some regular visits he walked fine and did great at fair

box6rranch

How old is the steer? Sometimes just with putting weight on they will track wider.
Hoof trimming is definitely a good idea too.

RSC

dutch pride said:
My son's steer tracks narrow on his hind legs when he walks. He can get him set up wide enough for a good rear view but when you watch him walk from behind, he is to narrow. Anything we can do to make him track wider when he walks?

Thanks     DLZ
The calf that we are showing  this year  walked just as you were describing early last fall!  We started with a good hoof trimmer right away and have trimmed several times.  No longer a problem IMO!  Changed right away!  If they are sound and stride fine and have pleanty of Foot to deal with, it can be helped!

Tony

dutch pride

box6rranch said:
How old is the steer? Sometimes just with putting weight on they will track wider.
Hoof trimming is definitely a good idea too.

He is just a little over a year old, weighs 1150 or so.

How often can you trim their hoofs, once a month? if so, that would give us 4 times before we show in late August. Will that be enough time to make a difference?

Thanks for the comments so far.

DLZ

WWS

Rub absorbine high on the inside of the back legs near the cod right before they go in the ring. This works, I learned it at a Stierwalt Fitting Clinic.