steer to big

Help Support Steer Planet:

jrod

my sons steer is at 1250 lb and the show is in june he is a yellow jacket calf so he is big frame. He does not have a lot of fat on him i am feeding him 2 percent of his weight now should I keep doing what doing or any ideas.

Bradenh

wow i have a yellow jacket for a june show that weighs 1000 and was worried about him. idk if you can get him fat because the are EXTREMELY hard feeders. just show him at 1450 or however much it takes to make him look good. cant pull a yellow jacket off feed for a while because he will never get fat

jrod

you think i should stay at 2 percent i am given 1 lb of corn and barley a day

4C

to showstopper-are you basing your feeding characteristics of yellowjacket steers solely upon your steer or have you gotten a number of similar reports?  i'm very curious because we are planning on feeding one or two for next year.  just asking

Bradenh

no dcc show cattle and rack ranch are 2 on here i know that would testify with me. i just hate to say im in the group too with the yellow jackets. ill never show another one again after seeing it my self and hearing other peoples stories. jrod id just stay where you are at until 30 days out. then start drenching with liquid fat after then to try to get him fat (or you can start now). just dont go up or down on feed just increase fat as much as possible without tearing his gut up

jrod

well i was wanting to show him some before june any good ideas how to put fat on him i have never had to do this

Latest posts