Steer who Hates People

Help Support Steer Planet:

madness01

i have a show steer for the fair next August, but i have a problem. he doesn't mind the halter, an he never fights it when hes tied up. he likes to be brushed but ONLT when in the chute. when hes in his pen and ou try to go upto him, he runs and kicks. he just deosnt like people. it is the same two people who work with him all the time. he fights us more than anything else. what do i do??

Sambosu

You might try what we do with all of our new calves.  We run them up an alley and tie them up.  Since they are in the alley they can't hurt anyone.  We work them continuously in the alley with multiple people.  I do this to help them get used to being around more than one person.  We blow them off in the alley, wet em down, comb them and rub the show stick on them.  Sometimes we have a radio play.  The alley can be made from a couple cattle panels with 3 t-posts per panel (if you don't have an alley). This technique worked well on a couple of calves my brother couldn't calm down and was ready to send to the pasture.