Steer with bump by his eye - what is it? how to take it off?

Help Support Steer Planet:

sholm

Have a 1200# steer that has a bump under his eye - no one seems to know what it is? It keeps getting larger and a little more hard to look at. He first developed it in January and it has slowly grown to the size it is in the pictures, about the size of a large acorn. The pictures aren't the greatest but the bump is just below the eyeball almost on the eyelid.
Has anyone seen this before? How was it taken off?
The pixs are from a side view and then an angled view, followed by a zoom view.
thanks
sholm

Attachments

• eye1_big.jpg
    eye1_big.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 350
  • eye1_big.jpg
    eye1_big.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 336
  • eye2.jpg
    eye2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 354
  • eye2_big.jpg
    eye2_big.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 389

Jill

Haven't seen that, have you asked your vet.  Normal bump there would be a wart, but it doesn't look like that, maybe an abcess or cancer??

TXSimmy

We had a heifer get a bump on her eye like that last year, we just waited it out and after about a week and a half it fell off and she was fine. Guess it was just an abcess.

sholm

Thanks for the responses.
The vet wasn't sure what it was, that was about a month ago.
I was hoping it would just go away or fall off, however it has continued to grow for a few months and doesn't look like it is going to fall off.
To Zach - If i haul him to you will you bite if off or would you like to provide the vet's name that performs the biting procedure.
thanks
S

SlickTxMaine

That is really weird looking!  Is it hard or soft?  Is it filled with liquid/pus?  Does it seem to hurt the calf when you touch it?  If it continues to get bigger, I would definitely have another vet look at it.    Keep us posted.