Steer with Runs

Help Support Steer Planet:

cpratz

I have a steer with the runs. I wouldn't normally have much of a problem with it but he is in the cooler and it makes it alot harder to keep him and the other calves in the cooler clean. He is 1200 pounds and eating grain, free choice hay, and all the grass he wants. Is there any tricks or medicine to get him over the runs?

obie105

My guess would be the green grass is doing it to him. He could also have too much protein. When I have one that has the runs I usually up the hay and decrease the feed a touch. Is it a good grass hay? Alfalfa can do it to.

cpratz

obie105 said:
My guess would be the green grass is doing it to him. He could also have too much protein. When I have one that has the runs I usually up the hay and decrease the feed a touch. Is it a good grass hay? Alfalfa can do it to.
Yes it is really good hay quality

Gargan

The alfalfa and green grass is prob doing it. Give rougher , stemmier ( If that's a word) hay and take the grass away for a week and see if that helps

Will

You can also add a little purina precon to his diet.  It will usually firm them up some.