Stierwalt wins number 5

Help Support Steer Planet:

oklahomaaged

Congrats Ky on winning your 5th Major.
                Tulsa State Fair, Oklahoma Youth Expo, National Western, Louisville, and American Royal Steer Shows.

This is rumored to be the last of the Fall Steer Shows for the Stierwalts which leaves them with a great set of spring borns for you!
Sires include Heat Wave, Monopoly, Yellow Jacket, Dirty Harry, Hannibal, and Rambo. So come see us at the ranch in Leedy, OK. or
give Kirt, Juli, or Ky a call, or catch me there this weekend to see a great set.

Jared Bain
[email protected]
580-716-4211

Show Steaks

how many different steers were used in ky's big 5? and what were there price tags i think it would be pretty interesting to know some of these things as well as the steer's sires

jlingle

Price tags and such don't interest me nearly as much as HOW they do what they do.  It's easy to discount that fact & say "well, they do it for a living" or "no telling what that calf cost" or whatever...... but the fact remains, people like the Stierwalts (there's more than just one family that is consistently dominant) win because they're just simply better at what they do than everybody else. 

It's discouraging to some to see the same people win all the time, but to me it's actually quite encouraging.  To me, it means that it is possible to dominate in this business & it's my responsibility to learn how.  I say good for them.  Maybe one of these days my kids will get to experience some of that success as well.

nmsteerjoc

Now this sounds a little hinky but its the truth.  A friend of a friend of mine Raised the calf that won tulsa, he had sent that calf to Kirk to try and get him sold, after a couple months Kirk called him and told him that he was good enough for him to feed and made him him an offer.  Now i dont dont think its anyones business what he paid but i will say it was well  under $10,000.  It kinda gives me hope that you dont have to spend 15 or 20 grand just to play.

carl s.

To me, it means that it is possible to dominate in this business & it's my responsibility to learn how.
I think that's the point.  To some, such as Stierwalt, it actually is a business instead of some steer jocks delusional fantasy.

Bone2011

I think it was pretty cool that the steer they won the national western with last year was the fifth pick out of a set that Mike Mimms raised. That just tells you how good of a home the stierwalt place is! Great Job!

pjkjr4

jlingle said:
Price tags and such don't interest me nearly as much as HOW they do what they do.  It's easy to discount that fact & say "well, they do it for a living" or "no telling what that calf cost" or whatever...... but the fact remains, people like the Stierwalts (there's more than just one family that is consistently dominant) win because they're just simply better at what they do than everybody else. 

It's discouraging to some to see the same people win all the time, but to me it's actually quite encouraging.  To me, it means that it is possible to dominate in this business & it's my responsibility to learn how.  I say good for them.  Maybe one of these days my kids will get to experience some of that success as well.

I couldn't agree more Jerrod. Persistence and knowledge are priceless. Hard work and drive are the basis for showing cattle. The old saying of "you get out of it what you put into it" could not be more true. I preach this to my kids all the time, and not just for showing cattle, but for everything they do. But they also need to remember that when it is no longer fun, it's time to get out.

Congrats to the Stierwalt family!! <beer>

OH Breeder

WHen it is your job and income you better be good at it. Show cattle is Stierwalt's livelyhood. I am not taking anything away from the care cuz I do not know them personally. But they are not the weekend hobbyist like some show folks who work 40 hours and have cattle on the side. The number of wins the young man has had says alot about how serious they take their business.

shortdawg

The fifth pick deal proves a point - "champions can be bred but they have to be fed". They work hard and my hat is off to them. Winning 5 majors is like winning a college football championship 5 times against 5 different teams with 5 different QB's.

NSF

i heard the one they won NAILE with was a 1500 calf from someone from alabama i think. came in really really skinny if i remember it right.

zak

I wonder how many times a day ky would wash him? I am sure his hair coat was to the "T"

Zak

shortyjock89

zak said:
I wonder how many times a day ky would wash him? I am sure his hair coat was to the "T"

Zak

56 times/day.

I hear he lived in a tub of cold water, with machines that rotobrushed his legs for 18 hours a day. 

For real though, Stierwalts are a great family that can sure put one together.

CAB

Kirk has said that Ky has really taken heart the last few years and Kyra is more into the lambs and horses. They are BUSY.
  One thing that I really appreciate about Kirk is that if you have a question, he'll answer it, not like it's some great big secret. He knows that very few will do the work that is required to beat him. There are no details that go unattended when getting one ready to compete.

ECC

NSF said:
i heard the one they won NAILE with was a 1500 calf from someone from alabama i think. came in really really skinny if i remember it right.

i heard the same thing

GONEWEST

Thousands of people take care of them just like the families that continually do so well. There are few, if any secrets anymore. But no matter how well you feed, how well you care, how well you clip and fit, you can't make chicken salad from chicken poopie at that level. The ability to be able to pick calves and the resources to have multiple finished animals to choose from is what separates contenders at that level.

Everyone of you know people who can fit and clip at a superior level. The woods are full of them. I dare say almost everyone here knows how to care for a calf on a  daily basis. Bet the vast majority could on their own or have access to help that can help them feed one as well as anyone else. What these people have is the ability and more importantly, the experience to be able to pick calves from a young age that will win at the highest level.

And btw, that calf from AL was maybe skinny the day he was born, but not many days since then.