Stiff Calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

johndeereman

I have a 2 and a half week old calf.  About a week ago he started to act real stiff in all 4 legs.  This came on all of a sudden with no prewarning signs.  We called our vet that day and he said to treat with 15cc of Penicillin per day which we have been doing.  The calf seems to be getting a little better but he is still very stiff when he gets up.  We have checked his navel and all is fine there.  Has anyone had this happen or know what is wrong?  Thanks in advance

shortyjock89

Sounds an awful lot like Navel Ill.  I've heard of cases where the navel looks completely normal, but the calf is still sick. 

yousesteers

does he appear sick in any other way head and ears down does he move more freely after the shot of penicillian at all

johndeereman

The calf has not been casterated.  When he gets up and moves around after a while he walks pretty close to 100% sound.  He does appear to be feelin good.  He eats good and does nibble at the creep feed and a little bit of hay.

chambero

We had babies do that last year.  The penicillin thing worked, just took a week or so.

cowman 52

3 times in my life saw just what you were talking about--probably as good a vet in our country treated it as blackleg-  I know -- first symptom is a dead critter but --- he used 200 mg antibiotics and a lot of them--  all 3 survived--    just a thought