Stimulate hair growth

Help Support Steer Planet:

MYT Farms

farmershane3 said:
What is the best way to stimulate hair growth?

Cold and short sunlight hours. I.E., winter.  ;D Keeping calves in and not outside in sunlight is best. Also, all winter long use our rice root brush, your scott comb, and that blower to keep hair stimulated and get it trained. During the spring and summer, personally, rinse in the morning, comb all the hair forward, and leave 'em in the cooler wet. Then, you can do whatever you want during the day to train the hair, but you rinse and comb again at night, and you can kick them out wet. Obviously, that doesn't work in the winter. You'd like to try to wash once or twice a week as well. As far as the winter, rinse, comb, and BLOW. I like to get 'em dry so they don't have health problems. You can also get most of the water out, go over with your brush and comb, and then blow them completely dry.

farmershane3

okay thats what i had planned on doing with the rice brush but we dont have a blower yet.  and never will have a cooler room.

sue

Move to Michigan ... Northern Michigan

shortyjock89

I wouldn't kick em out wet in the summer time Cade. Once that water warms up to their body temp, it's just going to insulate them and keep them warmer. That's also how cowlicks and curly hair happens.  I always hate it when we bring yearling heifers in for NAILE because for the first week after being on pasture, their hair is curly and crazy. Just thinking of fighting that every day in the summer drives me nuts!

MYT Farms

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I wouldn't kick em out wet in the summer time Cade. Once that water warms up to their body temp, it's just going to insulate them and keep them warmer. That's also how cowlicks and curly hair happens.  I always hate it when we bring yearling heifers in for NAILE because for the first week after being on pasture, their hair is curly and crazy. Just thinking of fighting that every day in the summer drives me nuts!

Better load up my steer and take him back due to dissatisfaction with the buyer.  ;) I guess we'll see. Personally, I wouldn't mind blowing them damp, but Aaron and his family brought many a champion to many shows. We'll see when the time gets closer.

shortyjock89

We used to kick them out wet too, but since we've started blowing them out more, its been much much easier to train the hair. Diffrent strokes I suppose.  Also, if you leave a really thick haired one wet (can you say Heat Wave type hair?), they can develop rain rot and irritated skin pretty easily.

stangs13

If I am not mistaken, wet suits are made to hold water against your skin to keep you warm? Leaving them wet would essentially be the same thing dont you think? We tried it for a few months and never had the hair growth we are seeing now until we started blowing them off every day! It might just be that time though.

LT

BRUSH BRUSH BRUSH.  We use rice root brushes, that gets the circulation going and stimulates hair growth.  Nothing does it like good ole hard work and elbow grease!  Good luck

Shady Lane

stangs13 said:
If I am not mistaken, wet suits are made to hold water against your skin to keep you warm? Leaving them wet would essentially be the same thing dont you think? We tried it for a few months and never had the hair growth we are seeing now until we started blowing them off every day! It might just be that time though.

I don't think this is the same thing at all as a westsuit.

Put on your wool sweater, soak it in cold water and go stand outside for a while and see how warm you feel.

;D

bcosu

if you don't want to blow them out, then brush them until they are dry under fans. by brushing, you stimulate the skin, train the hair, and you separate the hairs so that the air from the fan can get down to the skin. this helps train unruly hair and gives you a very manageable hair coat.

DFSC

What we've used on horses and cattle in the past to grow hair is MTG. I pour some on and brush it in. Works really well.

Jordan