Strictly Business Cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

PRO

I have a strictly business cow that is very moderate.  She is a former show heifer of my wife's.  She is not a good milker, and I would like to build our numbers.  I am looking for a bull that will increase frame a bit, clean her up a bit, and provide milk and maternal traits.  And is free of any defects.  Any suggestions??????????  I have some ideas in mind, but the frame size is a concern. 

PRO

I was thinking of something a little more modern and more readily available.  Are you suggesting that line........draftpick......or something else with midas in the pedigree.  I am certainly not limited to using a maine bull on her.  I may end up going chiangus.  She is due any time to a grandson of Destiny's Ace that is one of my grandfather-in-law's(if that is the right term) herd bulls.  I don't know that he will improve her milking ability.  Thanks for the input.

justme

Majors Money Man or Nelsons 26T2.  Haven't seen a 26T2 calf I haven't liked yet.  Money Man cows are awesome.

knabe

PRO said:
She is not a good milker, and I would like to build our numbers.  Midas

I am looking for a bull that will increase frame a bit, clean her up a bit.  Midas

provide milk and maternal traits.  Midas if by maternal, you mean mothering and milk

And is free of any defects.   Midas, plus, he's homo solid (sometimes referred to as the midas gene), though he is a carrier for scurs.

but the frame size is a concern.  will not make them too big like draft pick and he's probably more sound than draft pick

down side on midas is no hair and can be a little harder doing

i could be wrong, but i don't think money man is homo solid and i got a heifer calf with horns out of a polled cow with money man this year, don't know about 262T.

justme

oops didn't realize they wanted homo.solid pattern and polled.  My bad

knabe

justme said:
oops didn't realize they wanted homo.solid pattern and polled.  My bad

Hi JustMe,  they didn't state that, just included it since some people may not know about that.  no oops required.  good call on 262t, don't know much about him. is he homo black or homo solid?

hopefully juli will pop in about him. 

RSC

Flush her to HW(1/4 Maine) and put them in cows that do milk!LOL! Still can't believe he's registered after this much time!

justme

ok Knabe...I know Money Man isn't homo polled my bull I sold last year, Mucho Dinero, was scurred.  26T2 is horned, but is a CLEAN Contender son.  I've seen quiet a few of his calves and was extremely impressed with them.  I have about 6 cows bred to him for spring calves if they all stuck.

johndw

Try Bouncer or Hard Drive. I have a bouncer out of  a SB cow and she is great,big middled, sound, and pretty fronted. Bouncer should also add maternal traits.

Joe Boy

I think you would like a Hard Core Calf.  It will have eye appeal and milk.  He will not increase the height but will make a calf thicker.  Good Hair.  Pretty good disposition.  A bull that is not a popular bull, yet, but will produce milk, clean fronted calves and give a little extra frame is a bull called, Ramson.  A 1996 bull that we have used on heifers and loved all his heifers is a bull named SAF Elmo, 229769.  We are using Smokin Joe, 337244 for cows we hope to get heifers from this year.  I have been told he will not clean up bad front ends but he will add milk and clean them up in other places.  We are also using Triple X.  He will add milk, calving ease, a little growth, and clean the fronts.  I have not seen a calf from a bull called Clean Jeans but his EPD's and photo look good and I like his genetics.  All of these bulls are clean...

TJ

Doc said:
Blact Impact

Hate to hijack the thread, but RE Black Impact...

What kind of thickness does he sire?  Disposition?  What type of udders do the daughters have?  I've always admired his look, but I haven't seen a lot of offspring.  

DLD

To me, what SB seems to cross best with is the old line bred Cunia stuff. Chill Factor or even better Heart Beat if you can find it, if you want to go old school.  For something a little newer, Shiver could be really interesting.

PRO

Thanks for all the insights and comments.  I have considered some of those options.  Mama's Boy, Star Power, and I used Nelson's Gigolo Joe bull on a chiangus heifer.  I haven't heard much about the 262T bull though.  I would like to stay polled especially with the Fear This in her pedigree.  I bred a few 2nd calvers to GVC Special Delivery.  I really like the heifers I have seen in GVC's Big Picture sale and their consignments to Hartman's sale.  I am anxious to see if he will work on my cows.  Thanks again for the input.

BCCC

not to hijack this thread, but seems like the majority of my genetics click real well with Cunia. Most of my cows are Irish whiskey, Strictly Business, or Paddy O Malley on Strictly business cows, however when I use Chill factor(most affordable Cunia genetics) My calves look great they just don't have alot of growth(assuming that's on account of Cunia being in there 15+ some odd times) Any other Cunia options? Was thinking I would use some Shiver(Son of Chill Factor) and Full of 602(out of DSUL famous Chill factor cow) this year. Some of my cows have the same problems as PRO's