Stubborn Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

KMJCC

I have a feeder heifer that is about ready to make me pull my hair out.  We have had her for about 3 weeks now and she is not wild by any means just really stubborn.  She is a show heifer so we have been working with her everyday a few times a day trying to walk her and and rinsing and blowing her out.  When she wants to walk you don't even have to put any pressure on the halter, but if she doesn't want to walk you can't hardly move her.  You can practically twist her tail off and she won't budge just leans back with all four legs locked.  We have tied her and brushed her and she doesn't really fight the halter when she is tied up.  She doesn't like going into the grooming chute but once you get her in there she just stands there and lets you do what ever to her.  Her head isn't even in the head gate just tied up.  We also use the light tug approach when breaking calves but it doesn't matter how little or how much pressure you pull on the halter with if she doesn't want to walk she won't budge.  We have always been able to get our calves broke pretty easy using a gentle approach and I hate to have to get a tractor out and was searching for other ideas.  I don't have access to a breaking donkey either.  Any suggestions would be GREATLY appriciated!  Thanks!

Another question is she is a My Turn out of a Foreplay/simmi cow just curious how the dispositions of these two bulls calves were.  She is a really nice powerful heifer and she was mainly bought to keep as a cow so just curious.  Thanks again!

Show Heifer

Lots of patience and a gentle loving touch.

I used a donkey on several stubborn ones last year.... couldn't find a show that allowed the heifer to be led by a donkey!  (Translation - didn't work. Calf led for donkey, not for me.)

KMJCC

Yeah that is my fear is she would learn to led with a donkey or tractor and still not buy us.  I have tried everything as to rewarding her everytime she gives by scratching her neck and loosing the halter and if she doesn't want to move you can practically twist her tail off and she doesn't even seemed phased by it.  Is this a trait of My Turn or Foreplay or is she just a stubborn calf.  I am hoping it is just her being stubborn cause we had her surgically dehorned about 4 or 5 weeks ago.

WHLR SIMMENTALS

Thats a mean comment!! lol She is just smart. We have a cow the same way I don't know how they ever showed her she is the most stubborn thing ever when we AI her she stands in the chute without her head in the head gate never moves! We have tryed everything and she out weights us all by hunderds.. I have seen on someones post they make some kind of cart and you stand along side it holding the rope so they get use to you being there by them you hook it up to a truck check it out.

kobo_ranch

Kinda sounds like one we have this year.  Really sweet till you want to lead her.  VERY stubborn. Anyhow seems like not much time yet.  Been working with this one going on about 6 weeks.
I got so angry a week or so ago I made the mistake of yelling, hitting her with the show stick, twisting he tail, whipping her with the rope... all to no avail, set me back another couple weeks.
Just now working and letting me catch her again (always let me catch her)!  Put her behind our old dodge flatbed today, walked beside her and think 'maybe' she got the message.
You have to walk beside her or the showman... gonna get son out there next time.  But really think after about 2 or 3 more times like that she'll improve.
Moral of the story, patience PAYS, but its not always easy!  Hang in there, be kind and she'll respond. 
(hint hint on the she's a woman quote... actually men it works that way on us too!! LOL)

jbw

Kirk Steirwalt has a fool proof method for this...call him and ask him....

KMJCC

Last night she walked a lot better as long as we had another calf in front of her.  She also was a lot easier getting her in the grooming chute.  Hopefully the light bulb is starting to come on.  She is not wild I can walk right up to her in the pen and put a halter on her pretty easy.  It is if she doesn't want to walk you can't hardly make her.  Thanks for all the help!