Stunting

Help Support Steer Planet:

pjkjr4

My son has a Sep. born steer that weighs around 650-670 and looks like he could get kind of tall. I have talked to several people who have told me we need to switch from a grower/developer to a finisher along with some extra fat. I'm not worried about hair, as we don't start reall getting concerned about hair coat until this fall.

So here's my questions. Do I feed him all the finisher he wants? Also, what do I want to use as an added fat to put in? Liquid, or rolled corn? Also, how much of that?

Thanks

cowman 52

It will not take a whole lot of energy to slow him down,  adding corn to your grower might be enough-  don't put on the self feeder unless you really want to slow him down-  would not do the liquid fat till cooler weather  or if it is not too warm feed like it was mid fall on corn and then pull back a little on energy in the heat then go back to putting on finish when weather permits

showsteer11

we feed our fall borns finisher fomt the day we get them until the day we sell them the trick is to know how much to feed at 650 lbs i would  say somewhere between 15-20 lbs a day if he wil eat it.

pjkjr4

Could someone explain to me how extra fat stunts them? I was under the impression that only cigarettes and coffee were the only things that did that!!

Dozer45

When the body starts taking in more fat then protein it acts as a singnal to the body to stop growing and to start storing

Latest posts