Sulfa bolus...residue elimination?

Help Support Steer Planet:

rrblack78

We we to a jackpot show this weekend and this morning all of our calves have green, snotty noses. My husband took the kids to school then stopped at the vet and came home with a 2 boxes of Sustain III. I had to stop him from giving it because my kids attended a show cattle work shop a while back and the speaker, a professor at tamu covered a lot on drug withdrawals/withholds and advised not to use sulfa bolus 100 days before any Texas major as an extra precaution against possible tissue residue. He said the sulfa bolus hangs around in the kidneys a long time. I have spent the last 2 hours looking up info online and the only thing I found online is as long as you follow the dosing instructions and give the correct amount for the weight of the animal you have to exceed 2 doses in 72 hours for it to leave tissue residue. We are waiting on a call back from our vet to see if there is another way for us to go with this. All of my web searching kept leading back to old threads on here so I searched on here too. There is a mountain of info on slaughter withholds but not much on residue elimination. I know this is a hot topic on here and I'm not trying to start a war, I would just like to know the protocol on this from people that are long timers at the shows here in Texas. I'm worried my vet may not realize how strict the testing policy is and just the presence of tissue residue can result in a dq. Thank you in advance.

Lucky_P

I know nothing of the showring - but had no idea that they had more stringent requirements than the normal, established drug/antimicrobial withdrawal time framework. 

Sounds like you may need some clarification from the TX Show/Fair boards regarding these requirements.

Your vet may be able to contact the folks at FARAD for some guidance... or Dr. Virginia Fajt, at TAMU CVM, with regard to how far out past the normal withdrawal times one would have to go to have ZERO detectible residue.

rrblack78

We have decided on a different treatment until we get some clarification on this. Luckily I still had the hand out they gave us at the workshop with some contact info so I sent off some emails and my vet is going to reach out to some people he knows too. We already know the slaughter withhold is 12 days but majors look for tissue residue also. It says in the rules the withdrawal time for slaughtering and the residue elimination time my be different and to allow adequate time for your animal to be free and clear of all residue.