Sullivan's Bodyguard / Ringworm Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

JRapp

Has anyone used Bodyguard yet?  What kind of results are you seeing?

One of our steers has several spots.  Several treatments of iodine and a week later the spots start to grow hair back and clear up a bit.  However, about every week we find a couple new spots.  I say new because the actual circle of hair came off while we were washing/blowing the other day. 

Any other suggestions?.....

creativecattle

I don't really have any suggestions, more of an observation. I couldn't believe how many cattle in Denver in the Yards had ringworm. I didn't get close enough to see if they were fresh spots or old spots, but it seems like everyone was hit hard this year.

cowboy_nyk

Vitamin A, D & E and make sure to use vinegar in your daily routine.  Once you have spots, I find coppertox works wonders to kill them.

JRapp

Thanks for the help.  I've not tried the coppertox berfore.  I'm for sure going to give that a try.  "Back in the day" we use to put some sort of tooth paste on them and that seemed to clear them up pretty quick. 

@Crystal It seems like I've noticed over the past several years more instances of ringworm than I use to.  I'm curious if it's a result of trying to go after the all mighty hair?  Cool, wet, dark conditions would seem to be a great place for a fungi to hang out.  (pun intended LOL)

hntwhitetail

cowboy_nyk said:
Vitamin A, D & E and make sure to use vinegar in your daily routine.  Once you have spots, I find coppertox works wonders to kill them.

I may have to try the Kopertox.

renegadelivestock

hntwhitetail said:
cowboy_nyk said:

I may have to try the Kopertox.

when I was a kid, we had a horse that got ringworm really bad and we used coppertox on it, it did get rid of the ringworm but he had a reaction to it and it caused him to welt up. be all of about 7 years old, when I put the coppertox on him, I decided to s

justintime

Two years ago, I had a very tough to kill strain of ringworm hit my bull pen. I have no idea where it came from but it was the toughest to get rid of I have ever had. It seemed to have the toughest and thickest crust of any ringworm I have ever experienced before. On some bulls it was all over their bodies and it appeared like it would be extremely sore for the bulls. I treated them with every remedy I have ever used before and it would partially work but in a few days it would be back as bad as ever before. I think I treated many of the bulls at least 15 times and was starting to think I would have to pull some out of our bull sale. Finally, after giving up on every other option I could find, I purchased a few tubes of Atheletes Foot cream in a local pharmacy. I was a fairly expensive fix, but it had the ringworm killed after two days and hair growing in less than a week. Up until that year, I had found Fluid Film worked well, as well as Sullivan's Fungus Fighter. In the past I have also found that Crest toothpaste worked very well. I have also used a home remedy that my grandfather made up and it has worked very well also... These all worked until 2 years ago.
I was thinking that I would probably would have incredible ringworm issues every year as I use the same pen for the bulls each year. Last year I only had a couple animals with ringworm and they were cleaned up quickly. This year, I have treated 4 bulls with ringworm and they have also cleared up quickly. Everything else has remained the same.. same pen, same feed, same management etc. I am not sure why ringworm can be epidemic one year and not much of an issue the next.

Show Dad

I too had a bad strain of ringworm hit two years ago and had to rethink everything. I went to Target and bought some generic Vagisil. The poor checkout gal just had to ask me if I really needed 8 tubes, to which I replied that at my house the fungus had hit the "girls" hard!

Anyway I treated once a day for 3 days with that and then followed with Shapley's Original M-T-G (there's an aloe version too) applied with a washcloth or rag, until the hair starts growing back, which is usually within a week.

I find creams and thick oil works best especially around the eyes. I would worry that Kopertox would be hard to keep out of the eyes.

SD
<alien>

JRapp

His spots do seem like they are a lil sore, but they are starting to look better and no new ones have popped up in the last few days.  Fingers crossed, hopefully he's at the breaking point.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I for sure got some usefull tips!

rtmcc

We've found the best cure to be to scrape the spots with an old curry or scotch comb that only gets used for Ringworm until they almost bleed. Then we apply liberal amounts of the generic Tanactin athletes foot spray from Target/Walmart for 3 days.  Then a little olive oil or something to condition the skin.  If they squirm a little when you spray the Tenactin you know it's working!

Ron
<cowboy>

Bonlander

I did some research on this and bought some Anti Fungal spray from Tractor Supply and it works very good. I also picked up some anti fungal shampoo and washed our show steer. The Tinactin also works very well. This year was terrible for us as well. We purchased some feeders and they broke out bad and have spread to some out the show cattle. I was able to keep it pretty well contained by washing the show cattle and spraying them before they had any signs.

cpubarn

SD said:
I too had a bad strain of ringworm hit two years ago and had to rethink everything. I went to Target and bought some generic Vagisil. The poor checkout gal just had to ask me if I really needed 8 tubes, to which I replied that at my house the fungus had hit the "girls" hard!

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

That would have been fun to be the next guy in line behind you to see her reaction.!!!!