Sun Country Shorthorn Female sale

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

lightnin4 said:
What do customs fees, etc. cost per head coming into the U.S. from Canada?

It usually runs about $100 per head, but can be a bit lower depending on the number going to one place. I know some people put all the cattle that are going to the US on one customs invoice and it greatly reduces the paperwork and the costs. Why we need to use a broker anyways is a good question. It is just another money grab by government.

justintime

Okotoks said:
justintime said:
Okotoks said:
JIT will Lot 46 be the first Pioneer by Elsie cross or do you have some on the ground already? I guess they are 3/4 sibs to the 3a and 3b lot.

This will be the first ones offered in Canada. We flushed Elsie's Jade to Pioneer once before and the embryos all sold to Scotland, so there could be some over there. Stumpy from Kansas, also flushed J-Lo 3T to Pioneer,this summer and I am not sure if he has implanted any yet.
Are the first Pioneers in production?

The first Pioneer daughters now have their second calves on them. They are making great cows with excellent udders and milking well. North Dakota State have a great set of Pioneer daughters in production, and Bert Moore recently told me, that he is really pleased with how they are developing into excellent cows. Unfortunately I do not have enough of them, as I keep selling them!

Shady Lane

quote author=Okotoks link=topic=21927.msg224113#msg224113 date=1285953309]
justintime said:
Okotoks said:
JIT will Lot 46 be the first Pioneer by Elsie cross or do you have some on the ground already? I guess they are 3/4 sibs to the 3a and 3b lot.

This will be the first ones offered in Canada. We flushed Elsie's Jade to Pioneer once before and the embryos all sold to Scotland, so there could be some over there. Stumpy from Kansas, also flushed J-Lo 3T to Pioneer,this summer and I am not sure if he has implanted any yet.
Are the first Pioneers in production?
[/quote]

Dan, I have one Pioneer daughter in production from the Melba Niam cow family that I bought from Grant in the Agribition sale 2 years ago as a heifer calf.

She has been a very good female, quite moderate with an excellent udder.

She has weaned two really good calves now, I showed her Timeline heifer calf at Agribition last year and sold her, this year I'm planning on showing a really neat Timeline bull calf out of her as well.

I have had a few ET calves sired by Pioneer as well, I sold 1/2 interest in one last week and another heifer calf I'm consigning to the Agribition sale this year.

Very nice pair of females.

Okotoks

Hey JIT no HC CHERRY MIST 59T but I guess there are lots of half sisters by Wolf Willow Major Leroy!

justintime

Okotoks said:
Hey JIT no HC CHERRY MIST 59T but I guess there are lots of half sisters by Wolf Willow Major Leroy!

No.... 59T is a TH carrier so she will stay here. We got lucky and got a THF Pioneer bull out of her last year. She is bred back the same way for 2011. What are the chances of being twice lucky? I will try to post a picture of her 2009 Pioneer bull, HC Warrior 10W from the Iowa State Fair as soon as I get it scanned.

I think there are some Leroy daughters in the sale that are definitely as good as 59T

OH Breeder

justintime said:
lightnin4 said:
What do customs fees, etc. cost per head coming into the U.S. from Canada?

It usually runs about $100 per head, but can be a bit lower depending on the number going to one place. I know some people put all the cattle that are going to the US on one customs invoice and it greatly reduces the paperwork and the costs. Why we need to use a broker anyways is a good question. It is just another money grab by government.

I purchased some embryo's from Canada and by the time i was done with all the fees and shipping to get them to me it was around $300. $247 for the Canada part the rest was for US part.

linnettejane

justintime said:
linnettejane said:
well, i picked out 12 lots that i'd like to have in my field, lol.....

nice bunch!

linettejane... here's a deal for you. Buy all these 12 that you have picked out and I will deliver them to your door for my gas.

a girl can dream cant she??? 

Hilltop

I still am not sure which is my favourite? :-\          Do have it narrowed down to about ten head now.
JIT....how long before the sale do you plan on getting the cattle to sale location?

justintime

Hilltop said:
I still am not sure which is my favourite? :-\          Do have it narrowed down to about ten head now.
JIT....how long before the sale do you plan on getting the cattle to sale location?

I am hoping to have the cattle hauled over to the sale site by late Saturday afternoon, or Sunday morning ( Oct 16th-17th)  It will depend how quickly the Herefords move out from their Friday sale. Still needing to find some sale help. Have some but need a couple more people even if they can only come for one or both of Tuesday Oct 19th and /or sale day Oct 20th. With harvest in full swing, no one is willing to commit right now, and of course, most everyone else works in the oil patch, and the 4-H members have school. If you know of anyone, let me know.

Okotoks

justintime said:
Hilltop said:

I am hoping to have the cattle hauled over to the sale site by late Saturday afternoon, or Sunday morning ( Oct 16th-17th)  It will depend how quickly the Herefords move out from their Friday sale. Still needing to find some sale help. Have some but need a couple more people even if they can only come for one or both of Tuesday Oct 19th and /or sale day Oct 20th. With harvest in full swing, no one is willing to commit right now, and of course, most everyone else works in the oil patch, and the 4-H members have school. If you know of anyone, let me know.
Jacqueline would come out if you still need someone.

justintime

Okotoks said:
justintime said:
Hilltop said:

Jacqueline would come out if you still need someone.

Dan, you can tell Jacqueline that she can start to pack her bags. If she is willing to help, I will certainly make it worth her while to come all the way here. Finding help in this country is harder than finding a duck's tit. I will be in touch by telephone in the next couple days.

thunderdownunder

justintime said:
Hilltop said:

JIT, I'm more than happy to come help... all it will cost you is an air fare!!

justintime

thunderdownunder said:
justintime said:
Hilltop said:

If I buy you a one way ticket, how long do you think you would stay?

thunderdownunder

justintime said:
thunderdownunder said:
justintime said:
Hilltop said:

Well I guess if it's one way, as long as it takes me to raise the airfare back!! Unless I got a really good offer then who knows!

justintime

thunderdownunder said:
justintime said:
thunderdownunder said:
justintime said:
Hilltop said:

Well I guess if it's one way, as long as it takes me to raise the airfare back!! Unless I got a really good offer then who knows!

Just kidding Carla....... actually a round trip ticket is not much more than a one way .  In relation to distance a round trip ticket from Australia is a better buy than a short distance ticket here in Canada. For example, I could buy a return ticket to Oz for about twice as much as a ticket to Toronto. When I flew to Scotland two years ago, it cost me $100 more than a ticket I got to Toronto a week earlier. I have no idea how they calculate these air fares. I would love you to visit now when the weather is great and the cows are still on pasture, rather than on a -40 degree day in January.

Okotoks

JIT your lot 58 pregnancy looks interesting. I know Miloton Hennig found the Highfield Betty 10th cow and a couple others a few years ago but do you know the story on who had them originally? We used a grandson of 80C and wish I had more of his daughters.