Sunseeker Bull Calf KEEP or CUT??

Help Support Steer Planet:

NDC

Well this is my first post but I would like to have some advice I'm located in northern California not in a huge Ag region. We got some club females and a purebred shorthorn small herd, with not a huge need for multiple bulls.  We already are keeping a shorthorn bull calf this year and we don't exactly know what to do with this calf hes a sunseeker bull out of our best female, she milks and was an excellent show animal.  But we don't need another bull necessarily id like to sell possesion in him, keep semen intrests though or should we cut him and try and sell him as a steer?

Attachments

• 100_6232.gif
    100_6232.gif
    639.3 KB · Views: 291
  • 100_6238.gif
    100_6238.gif
    647.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 100_6239.gif
    100_6239.gif
    739.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 100_6241.gif
    100_6241.gif
    694 KB · Views: 371

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

I dont know man, thats kind of tough call. Personally I would say stick with the shorthorn bull but since you have some clubby cows you might be best off keeping him. On the other hand you could sell them both and go get you one that is ready to work. I always thought Northern California was where all the cattle are.

NDC

Were above the valley and in a small area theres some ranches but not much for the clubbies. And we got a calving ease bull already breeding age.  hes our best calf we've had and i would like to use him for some exposure because our calf crop is really getting good the last couple years.

herefordfootball

If it was me I would probaly cut him, like Jill said he's got a lot of color for a cross bull. If you're already AIing stick with that, because those are the best bulls in the business. Plus you could probaly get a pretty good penny for him as a steer. Most people looking for a bull usually go for a solid color. But like I said you could probaly make some good money off him as a steer, and he looks like he'd make a darn good one!!!

(welcome)

Ric

I would cut him agreed with having to much color

Shady Lane

From my experience, if their is any question in your mind about whether or not to leave a bull intact, you are really just telling yourself to cut him.

Looks like he'll make a great steer.

Good luck with him

NDC

Well looks like were cutting him thanks for replies hard part now is selling him around here value is tough

Smith

You have already made your decision so I'll try to brief.  However, I thought I would point out two issues that were not mentioned for consideration.  Sun Seeker is both a TH carrier and a monkey mouth carrier, so your calf could also be a carrier of one, both or neither.  You could certainly pull a blood sample and have him TH tested before you had to make a decision.  However, with no DNA test for monkey mouth the only way to determine his status is through breeding trial & error.  Sun Seeker has produced some great offspring and it looks like you have a very nice calf.  I just wanted to make sure you knew of some potential implications in case you change your mind.  Best of luck to you regardless of your decision.

forbes family farms

Tough say but i would cut him and make him a show steer he looks like he is a very good steer and has a lot of show quality in him. Or what you could do is get some seaman from him and AI your cows with his seaman. It also depends on what his birth weight is if he had a big birth weight i would cut him if not i would keep him maybe and lease him out to people maybe.

NDC

Yes, he tracks wide walks smooth very fault free when tracking out, were a small herd like i said and were just trying to get people interested in coming out to see our calves because usually we've kept and shown the top ones nobody around came to look to often for our top notch calves.  But now our jr eligibility is over how should we advertise, website, ad in magazine? were in northern cali above sacramento and we got around 20 good steer and heifer prospects really like our mommas boy heifers but selling heifers here is hard nobody wants to feed them for a yr.

HT

Nice calf, I would use him as a steer. He looks like he will be competitive!! You can always breed the cow to another bull and possibly get something better, but bulls can be a pain in the rear to keep. I just had one plow through a 6' reinforced chain link fence to get into an empty pasture when he had 4 cows in with him! This calf is nice though. Good luck with him!! (thumbsup)