sunseeker cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chap

I have several sunseeker cows.  they are all out of maternally based sim/angus and maine/angus cows. they milk well with decent udders.  I would be critical of structure and the maternal orientation of the dam, but sure wouldn't be afraid of them to make decent cows.

Dyer Show cattle

I have 2 right now that will be having there 2nd calf in march. As 1st calf heifers last year I thought they did pretty well, took real good care of their calves. As for their makeup they are very different. One I have is out of a soggy simangus cow and she a really thick stout made cow. The other is out of a good angus cow and she has a much better maternal look to her. Both of them were out of my best 2 milking cows so thats the reason I wanted to give them a try. I figured if they don't have milk none of them will. They seemed to milk great this year but the only problem was they were so tame that they would let about any calf in the herd rob milk from them. So I cant really tell just how good they milked. They must have done ok because they raised some of the best calves I had out of my purebred simm bull this year. They are both bred to One and only this year so I raised the bar for them and I will see how they do.

Diamond

I have one who I purchessed from the ohio beef expo, and for a first calf heifer she milked ok, but she was loaded with mother instinct. Shes due to have her second in march to Tiger woods, so we will see how it goes this time.

oldwood

Diamond, I have one sunseeker cow she is 4 now and she does the same thing, lets other calves suck on her. I  have to keep her seperate, nust be the motherly instincts. but other than that a great docile cow that milks good.

Joe Boy

My brother has several out of Sunseeker and brangus cows.  They are really beautiful creatures.  We bred them to my 3/4 Maine out of Ali.  The calves would all fit into a 5 gallon bucket but were vigorus and really grew well.  The next year they were bred to a son of Heatwave and what his dam was, I have no idea.  They were great calves and the mothers really took care of them.  We AIed them to Gucci this year.  I would not be afraid of them.  I do think you need to measure the pelvis on the heifers.  We have had two 1300 lb heifers that were not big enough inside to have a calf.  Personally, I love the cows and calves out of this bull.  If I can purchase a 1/2 blood Maine out of Sunseeker that is clean on the genetic disorders I will buy him.

Diamond

oldwood said:
Diamond, I have one sunseeker cow she is 4 now and she does the same thing, lets other calves suck on her. I  have to keep her seperate, nust be the motherly instincts. but other than that a great docile cow that milks good.
Nope not me, mine never lets another calf near, its Dyers whos doing that  ;D