Sunseeker Heifer with swollen back legs

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

Simmimom said:
Sorry to hijack the thread.   What does it mean when an animal dog sits?  Our new ram has been doing that a lot... and he was expensive!!!  What should I be getting checked out (or should I have before purchase)?
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/dairy/facts/info_cowbehave.htm

"The behaviour should alert us to several stall features that create discomfort for the cow. It also may indicate an injury to a front leg. Cows with injuries to a knee often rest with the leg in extension because swelling limits their ability to fold it. Of necessity, those cows also choose to extend both forelimbs and rise like a horse."

Attachments

• dog sit cow.jpg
    dog sit cow.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 205

Simmimom

Yup ... that is what he does.  He did hurt a front leg this past spring (stepped in a hole).  Hope it won't affect ability to breed.  Thanks

BABYTEX

Wow!!!! Didn't think I would get that many posts on this subject.  I have done a few things suggested.  If you are curious about this heifer you may search all the postings under my name and you will find a picture of this heifer in October of this past year at about 5 months, but I dont think she has what someone calls the clubby syndrome.  She's actually looked much better in the leg the last few days.  Thanks everyone!!!  Sorry if I upset anyone on this post!!!

OH Breeder

BABYTEX said:
Wow!!!! Didn't think I would get that many posts on this subject.  I have done a few things suggested.  If you are curious about this heifer you may search all the postings under my name and you will find a picture of this heifer in October of this past year at about 5 months, but I don't think she has what someone calls the clubby syndrome.  She's actually looked much better in the leg the last few days.  Thanks everyone!!!  Sorry if I upset anyone on this post!!!

Pictures are always helpful. You can beat actual visual inspection and manipulation. If it occurs or doesn't clear up post some pics but have your vet peak at it.

BABYTEX

Could have went better but the legs were not the issue.  We were middle of the pack and got a blue so I wasn't too upset but my dad was right as the judge also stated she should have been in a market class but I was still happy with the blue ribbon.  Thanks for asking.  Now I am in seach of a new heifer for next year and have my eye on some from Indiana but dont know how to get transportation here as my dad is busy with potato harvest and my mom works but maybe could go half way.  Another soap opera story in the making.  ;D ;D