Supplement Suggestions for this winter

Help Support Steer Planet:

nativeman

I know it is early but if others out there are making old hay like me,what are some suggestions own supplementing the cows.

GoWyo

Feed about 5 lbs. of alfalfa every other day or every three days.  The protein in the alfalfa will keep their rumen bugs working to digest the low quality hay.  Can also use high protein cattle cake, but usually alfalfa is cheaper per pound of protein.  Just have to price it out.

CAB

Test your hay for nutritional values and go from there. Find a nutritionist to balance your cattle's needs.

RyanChandler

GoWyo

When you say "old hay" what exactly are you referring to?  Something like CRP hay where there are several years growth and a lot of old leaves and stems?

CAB

-XBAR- said:
Gargan said:
-XBAR- said:

What do the Purina tubs cost? I feed crystlyx,  which is very similar, and just wanting to compare cost.

Around $130.  I keep them out year round--  intake will fluctuate from about a half lb in summer to a full lb when Im feeding hay.
  You could feed 4 lbs. of corn per head per day for $.308 and get 2 times the protein plus energy than what protein you are getting from the 1/2 lb. per day intake of a 30% protein tub. In the winter months it would be about the same protein intake but the corn would have more energy. That's figuring the tubs at 225 lbs. and 30% protein. Corn @4.30 per bushel. Winter time @ 120 days. Using these figures you are spending approximately $140.65 per cow per year on tubs. It won't work for me here.

RyanChandler

I can go several days or more at a time without seeing them using protein tubs. You can't even run your diesel truck one afternoon for the difference in price-- much less on a daily basis making your feeding rounds.

The tubs are 38%

My cost per cow is less than 250 total dollars per year. That includes everything except property taxes. With my calves averaging over $1000 last year, I think I'm doing alright.