Supplements to add muscle?

Help Support Steer Planet:

rrblack78

Our steer currently weighs 969 and is eating 22lbs a day of producers finisher, 8oz of depth charge and a scoop of cooked corn at his night time feeding. We were recently told he is not as far along muscle wise as he should be at this stage of the game. Are there any suggestions on a supplement that will add muscle? The target show is late March, the week after Houston finishes.

RyanChandler

Don't waste your money on gimmick supplements-- just increase the energy level of the ration.  Try 2/3 finisher 1/3 corn

rrblack78

Thank you for your reply. Our calves this year are very easy feeders. We had no trouble getting them started and producers mixes show bloom in the finisher so we haven't felt the need to add anything extra. We just added the depth charge this weekend but it was for our heifer so we gave the steer some too. Now our steer seems to be behind compared to others his age and we need to up our game.

rrblack78

The first pic is the steer in Dec and the second that you can tell nothing from is this past weekend. It's the only recent pic I have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 296
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 252

rrblack78

Thank you for your replies. I was thinking about the optaflexx but I couldn't remember the name or if it was still on the market. I'm not even sure if anyone in our area sells it or can even get it.

rrblack78

More feed we can handle, we have started pushing him the last two weeks. We have also increased his corn in the from of cooked corn. We are just running out of time. 9 weeks till show. What about adding something like purnia champion drive? Will it make  any difference in 65ish days?

diamonddls

Beta agonist like optaflex would be the most effective in this situation although you need to be sure they are sound enough to take the push as other beta agonist such as zilmax have been known to create severe soundness issues. Implants can help harden them up but they also will tend to frame up as well.

rrblack78

Thank you all for the replies. They have given me a lot to think about. I'm bit unsure about the optaflexx type additives because we are already concerned about how he is going to hold together down the road. He is small framed and we are hoping to finish him at 1200lbs but we may not make it there.