Sweat Collar for show heifer!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Fish Creek Ranch

I have got a heifer that has to much leather on her.  Was thinking about using a sweat collar on her.  Anyone got any ideas on the best way and what to uses?  We are done showing right now til Sept.  Any info would be great.

woltemathangus

Have used one a couple of times. The leather sweat collars seem to work better that the neoprene-type ones better. They are more expensive though.

flacowman

We have always just used plastic wrap and the hot sweat cream from Sullivan's, just use enough that it won't rip to shreds as soon as they rub against anything

Fish Creek Ranch

flacowman said:
We have always just used plastic wrap and the hot sweat cream from Sullivan's, just use enough that it won't rip to shreds as soon as they rub against anything

How much hot sweat cream do you put on?  How long do you put it on?  how long do you start out before showing?

flacowman

use enough hot sweat to really moisten the skin and hair when you put it on, it may be too much but a good slick layer has always worked for us.  I would leave it for 2 hours at a time, let the skin air out for 30 minutes, and reapply.  Do this for up to 12 hours during the day depending on how much you need to tighten her up.

SRC

Hey just a quick question on sweating..how do u sweat out really low down in the brisket? just get hot sweat lotion on there with no cover? also is there any alternative you can use for the lotion? (I have heard mouthwash) Also how often do you do it and do you do it long term or just in the week before your show?

flacowman

we usually do it about 6 weeks before a show just to see how long it will take to get them where we want them, it should take around a week, then judge from that on when to do it before a show, I add 2 days to the time it took a month ago.  as far as low on the brisket I'm not sure about that.  I also don't know of any reliable alternatives to hot sweat but then again that doesn't mean they are out there.  You also don't have to use hot sweat, it just helps get that last little bit.

GFC#22

i have sullivan purple sweats and in my opinion they work really well we have always had good luck with these

polevaultcowboy21

Have always used the purple neoprene sweats from sullivan plus put the leather sweats on top of that. Have always really worked well. Just have to make sure and wash her everyday with them off so it doesn't start to mildew on the neck. Have had that happen before on a white shorthorn worst thing ever. 

Fish Creek Ranch

Do yall leave the sweat collar on all day and take it off at night?  I have read to take it off a few times during the day but I will be at work so I couldnt do that.

polevaultcowboy21

Yea we left them on all day and toke them off at night.( this was even when we had them in the cooler) Sweating works better during the day for obvious reasons. But like i said wash them real good so you make sure and not have any mildew build up.