Synching cows with CIDR

Help Support Steer Planet:

JPB

Does anybody give cows a shot of GNHR when they come into heat and breed them with CIDRs or just breed them without giving them anything cause their in heat anyway? I was curious if giving them a shot of GNRH was a little insurance that the egg would drop.

CAB

Some give the extra shot and some don't. I personally don't have very good luck time breeding and prefer to see a good standing heat & service accordingly. I do not give the extra shot. Anyone that is time breeding will give the shot to help the cow release the egg in a timely fashion.

redwingfarm

We have been using CIDR protocol for 3 yrs now with great results, here is our protcol:

Day 1    shot of ovacyst and insert cidr
day 8    pull cidr and give shot of lutalyse
72 hrs after lut. shot we breed unless we obsevre heat sooner, sometimes they will be in heat to breed @ 60 hrs
if we are in doubt about stage of heat when breeding we will give 2nd shot of ovacyst
we pull blood @ 32 days for Biopryn preganacy test

last year we ran about 75% conception with this program

another tip if possible buy your lutalyse in the 100 cc bottle, much cheaper per shot than the 30 cc bottle
good luck

gsoper

i agree with giving the shot if they don't come into heat.  If already spent the money on the drugs and implants whats one more shot.  68% on those that don't show heat.

farmboy

redwingfarm said:
We have been using CIDR protocol for 3 yrs now with great results, here is our protcol:

Day 1    shot of ovacyst and insert cidr
day 8    pull cidr and give shot of lutalyse
72 hrs after lut. shot we breed unless we obsevre heat sooner, sometimes they will be in heat to breed @ 60 hrs
if we are in doubt about stage of heat when breeding we will give 2nd shot of ovacyst
we pull blood @ 32 days for Biopryn preganacy test

last year we ran about 75% conception with this program

another tip if possible buy your lutalyse in the 100 cc bottle, much cheaper per shot than the 30 cc bottle
good luck

I think this is what our AI guy does with another shot to drop the egg after he puts the semen in.

Assuming we caught all that came back in heat, he shot 13/18 on cows and heifers. We AI'd the 5 who came back in again

herefordfootball

Protocol  we are using this year:Day 1: GNRH(2cc) and implant CIDR
                                                    Day 8: Pull CIDR and give 5cc of Lutalyse
                                                    Day 11(60-72 hrs. later): Breed and give 2cc of GNRH. (Sometimes you'll find that the cow doesnt always come into heat in that 60 72 hr. range, may come in earlier, may come in later).

45 days later: Preg check with ultrasound.