Tagging Cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

randiliana

xxcc said:
I think each program has it's own benefits...that's why I said 'kinda' similar.  not everyone has the benefit of grass right out their front door.  Sometimes our cattle are 50 or 60 miles from home and people that don't know our cattle are taking care of them...if they are not paired up, the people taking care of them think it's a waste of time to have a little piece of paper in their pocket saying this cow matches this calf for 120 pair.

Exactly, and when you are sorting them at home to go to different pastures it is so much easier when the cow and the calf have the same tag #. It is still easy to make mistakes, but easier to figure out what is wrong.

jnm

I do the year and then sequence (917 17th calf of 2009). I also tag bulls in right ear and heifers in left which comes in handy if looking straight at calf or from a distance.

BCCC

We use a 4 digit number starting with the year number. So this year it will be 0001 last year it was 9001. Heifers get yellow tags, steers get blue. Bought cattle get pink, black, green, white, and red. They get tagged in the order they get branded. Except heifers calves they get tagged within 24 hours of being born just in case one decides to be stupid. Then replacement heifers get the year they were born branded on their left shoulder when they get preg check for the first time. That's for our commercial cattle. Our limmys get all the same ear tag as their dam so we can figure out registration papers. Our clubbys don't get tagged as they are known pretty well.

plattevalleysimmentals

We will take and put the first number as the year the calf was born and then the next numbers are the cowns 2nd two numbers... so a cow who is numbered 954 would have a calf with the number 054 for this year