Taking Prospect Steers to NWSS

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowgirl94

I am taking my two steers to NWSS and I live a little over an hour away, is there any feeding tricks to help them keep eating at the show because I don't want this to ruin their schedule for finishing for the county fair. Any tips would be great!

vc

If this is their first trip I would definitely hold the grain back the night before you haul them. Give them plenty of hay just hold the grain, you might also hit them with some probois before you ship and then once you get there. Once you are there keep them on their normal schedule.

You hold the grain back just to keep it from all ending up all over your trailer.

twistedhshowstock

I typically go light on the grain before hauling anything of mine.  Some travel well and will typically handle it, but hauling is a stress and I like to remove as many variables as possible.  Like was said before, just keep em on their same routine.  There are some variations for some people, but typically your endpoint show is most important.  You dont want to go to any extremes to win a prospect show and then end up ruining him for his endpoint show, therefor just keep on treating him like you would if you were not going to Denver and you should be fine.