Tell me if i'am wrong

Help Support Steer Planet:

jeddy

We just had our county fair and at the end of our steer show we have a County bred and fer show . Their was little money involved but not much Well last year the cattlegrowers Assoc. put together about 5000.00 dollars to be given to the top 4 placings on a percentage basis's. My daughter won first and third so she got paid for those two placing . This year she won first and second but after the show there was know one from the cattlegrowers there to give away the money. We were told the they were still deciding how to award the money. The next day I was approached by the cattlegrowers Pres. That the committie voted to give money on a individual not the steer. So my child would only get paid for her first place not her second. I ask the Pres. when this new rule was voted on she said November of 2010 . But know one or the fair was told of this new rule . Know I'm asking for your thoughts on this matter.

Attachments

• article sent to lordsburg paper.jpg
    article sent to lordsburg paper.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 277

rmbcows

I'd say it was handled badly,  the conditions should've been made known prior to the show.  Instead it looks like they changed the rules after the show, reguardless of when it was done.  Nothing agrivates me more than the head honchoes getting together after something hasn't turned out the way they planned, and changing the rules.  I think I'd ask for the minutes of that meeting to see if they're lying or not.  After getting the truth, whatever it turns out to be, I'd probably drop it.  If in fact they had changed the rules and not informed anyone,  their bad.  If they changed the rules in a quick little closed door session after the show, their bad too.  So either way, the egg is on their face.  My opinion the classy thing to do after the truth comes out, is to take whatever they award your daughter and graciously walk away.  If you cause a stink people will just label you a sore loser and put their own spin on the whole story.
With that being said..  our county bred and owned classes are limited to one entry per child.  They don't offer the big prize money yours does, but I think that would solve some problems.  Of course when you start getting large sums of money at stake, someone will find a way to cheat.  Just one of the sad facts of life. 

J

JTM

That would be annoying. I think these types of things happen all of the time when you have a certain family that starts winning a lot and people want to change the rules. Unfortunately, people are imperfect and will always disappoint. At the same time, we need to be thankful for the people and organizations that donate money because it's not just another tax write off, it is actual money out of someone's pocket. Congrats on the bred and owned!

peachy

I can see where they're coming from. Maybe they should limit it to one steer per exhibitor. Congrats on your win though!  (clapping)

knabe

ask to see the minutes of the meeting where this was discussed and the voting and how communication of the change was to take place.

DL

Congratulations on your daughters win - good for her. She worked hard, she got 1st and 2nd and she got 1st place money. As I recall 4H is about the kid not the creature.

When I first read this I thought "adult greed" and when I read the letter by the SIL and re read the post I still thought adult greed. Instead of being happy your daughter won and congratulating her on her victory you and your family are P&M about how she didn't get more money - how do you think this rubs off on your daughter? Is this a good lesson for her? Adults behaving badly at the fair - a never ending saga. Wouldn't it be nice if parents could be happy with what their kids win instead of making it all about them?

In contrast in Colorado a young man won CH and Res with his steer and heifer - he got a boatload of $ - he gave a big chunk of it to his sister who has Down's Syndrome and a member of a cheer squad where all individuals have disabilities of some type. Some members of her cheer leading squad cannot afford to travel to the national competition - the sister is going to use the $ for travel for her team mates - wow - fancy that!

So yeah, I think you are wrong, you take a nice win for your kid and turn it into a major negative P&M session all about you disguised as an issue about your daughter - if you don't like the way the fair was run get on the fair board, be a beef superintendent or livestock committee member - or other thankless county fair job so you can personally experience the delights of being on the other side of all the parent issues

Average Joe

The County Born and Bred Shows are a wonderful way for youth to stay in county and promote local bred cattle. I can see some of your points that you bring up however, I think you only have an argument if you yourself put money into the pot for the youth to win. raising an promoting your own cattle is one thing, but wanting the rest of the County's beef producers to pay the premium without your involvement is another.
  It sounds like you had an awesome year last year, some would say "Double Dipped" Did you donate any of the cash back to the pot for this year or take it all home,If you would have given some of it back, the association might not have come up with the one prize rule, Maybe??  I judge a lot of these shows before the regular shows and commend the counties for their dedication to the local producers as well as the youth.
many of the county's have raised their money by having a dues for producers to put in cattle (usually around a $100 and $25 per calf sold in the county) from this money they give every exhibitor at least the $25 and the higher the placing the more You get. this way they seem to raise alot of money because everyone in the county wants to sell locally and see their cattle at the fair(bragging rights) the extra they put in the pot is well worth it when they can get a little premium out of their calves at weaning from the exhibitors and see the final product at the fair( this is where the bragging comes in , not only about the cattle but the youth for a really good job)  if your proud of your home raised cattle pony up and get involved with your growers Assoc. put money into the pot, help with the rules and regulations, and make the show a huge success not only for the exhibitors but for the producers as well.

farmboy

If it was someone else in this position and you were complaining about it, everyone would be on your side. You played within the rules and you should get what is owed to you (your daughter). If it was me I'd be upset but its not a big deal

hamburgman

I am in agreement with Jeff on this.  I understand why you would not like this happening all of a sudden and not having a warning about it.  On the other hand I bet the idea behind the program is to promote the beef show and help kids out on the money side.  Two premiums going to one kid would hurt both those goals I feel.  I am sympathetic towards you on this by all means, but remember if 4H isn't about money and is a learning experience then this should be something to make too big of a fuss about.  However, you have a right to say 4H isn't about money, but it is also about abiding by rules and letting people know the rules, in the future changes like this should be brought to the public's attention better in the future.

AAOK

If you are offered any money at a County Fair, take it and be Very Happy.  Ours pay $2 for a blue ribbon, and there aren't any Grands or Res.  Be proud your daughter was able to display good cattle to a public which probably hasn't seen too many.