Texas Bred Shorthorn Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

I figure horses, get much respect for being from Kentucky. Why cant cattle from Texas.

Attachments

• IMAG0052.jpg
    IMAG0052.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 168

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

She is out of WHR Billy Crystal 4601 (3/4 brother to Sonny) and her dam goes back to WHR Cumberland Duchess cow family.
She is a half sib to NHR Shorthorns donor that took a piece of Houston and has produced a Texas State Fair and Ft. Worth division winner this past year.
If she goes on to produce like her sister i think things are gonna be just fine for me.
I am very happy with the kid working this project, its good when juniors do their part. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

carl s.

The Texas cattle that "get much respect" have much larger ears and more skin than that.

shortyjock89

Where do you think those "Texas" shorthorns got their breeding?  Come up to the midwest if you wanna see some good Shorthorns. IL/IN/IA/NE is where  its at.  ;)

For real though, that's a nice heifer, even if she is from Texas.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

and how much shorthorn, do those big eared, loose skin shrub eaters have in them. With the exception of the Brahmas of which i dont see many of. Beefmaster, Santa Gertrudis. etc , its the difference maker.= though a shorthorn, won Supreme over all at Houston.

carl s.

You don't see many Brahmans and you want to talk about Texas having a reputation for cattle?  ::)

Gerts and Beefmasters wouldn't crack the top five on the list of breeds Texas does well.

mark tenenbaum

Who got to texas first as far as non-native cattle?Other than Herefords-Limmis, and Brahmas-which other cattle have Shorthorn DNA -ALL OF THEM O0 Thus-the most respected cattle in Texas oghta be the original british invaders-Shorthorns  (lol) O0

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

I would like to see us do a milk butter fat content, marbling, and weaning weight testing to determine which breeds really stack up.

carl s.

Now you are just completely changing the subject.

First, you have no business even talking about Texas having a reputation for cattle if you "dont see many" Brahman cattle.  Did you know 281 goes south too?

Second, just like having Kentucky Quarter Horse doesn't mean too much Texas doesn't hold a candle to the midwest for haired breeds.  Going back to your first post, Kentucky is to Quarter Horses as Texas is to haired cattle.  They're raised there, that's for sure, but if you want the great ones you need to go somewhere else.

The Show

Kentucky is to quarter horse's as Texas is to heat which kills hair. I'm from TX but you gotta admit the yankee's I mean northerners got us beat on the hair bc they have better weather.

mark tenenbaum

OLD WORLD SHORTIE said:
I would like to see us do a milk butter fat content, marbling, and weaning weight testing to determine which breeds really stack up.DONT FORGET THE BIRTHWIEGHTS-As far as pound of calf per cow-and easy doing survivors-The X-breds allways win-Had Shorthorns this go since 1991-but the recips raising my ETs were better cows in alot of cases-then the dams of the embryos.The pedigree on that nice hiefer reflected almost entirely cattle from the midwest and Kentucky(the Sutherland cow)
Sonnys dam was a Fastrack Rodeo Cumberland-(I owned a 3/4 sister for years),and them cattle aint doggies tramping around the tumble weed.. The commercially oriented cattle I see from down there are out of cattle that come from down there-Where do I begin-Milestones Moonlighter-The t-bar cattle-and a bunch of those stout Dividend-Improver Maines out of Oklahoma-like Impact Shaker-Im still kind of proud of what the Shorthorns and soon after the Herefords did in yur big country-they are part of your history,