Texas/Lifeline

Help Support Steer Planet:

hart

Is there a reason lifelines are so popular in Texas?  I like the bull, don’t get me wrong. I was just wondering why the Texans seem to use him more than other folks….

kane1598

Im not from texas or the south, but i think it is lifelines muscle shape and expressiveness that make him so popular down there. Because alot of southern shows are slick haired deals, catte need to be truly muscular, not have it clipped into them. Lifeline really seems to put some quarter in them, and the lifelines ive seen are very expressive in thier muscle design. Lifeline on Charolais or Char influence cattle have won some of the biggesst steer shows around.

hart

hair makes a huge difference. but it makes me very sad to think a judge can not feel through a bit of fluff to the animal itself.

that said. is that the only reason why then? 

DLD

Slick shear shows are just a whole different ballgame than haired ones.  It's not so much that Lifelines are thicker, it's the particular shape and expression of muscle, plus they're generally a little flatter boned and smoother jointed and they also tend to be a little tighter hided than some other club calf sires.  That and the fact that Lifeline doesn't usually sire great hair so that makes his genetics less popular elsewhere.

JSchroeder

One would hope judges can feel through that "little bit of fluff" but I guarantee you an American never would have ended up in the top two at a major until slick sheer shows.

Look at the thread on Kris Black's bull sale thread for an example of people who have seen plenty of cattle picking apart $10k+ bulls because they're not used to seeing them without hair.

hart

" but I guarantee you an American never would have ended up in the top two at a major until slick sheer shows."
Im a little cornfused what you mean by this statement.

JSchroeder

Brahman influenced cattle stand no chance against exotics in haired shows.  While the chips are most certainly stacked against them in slicked show as well an American calf did end taking one of the top two spots at San Antonio (a show with about 1,500 steers) a few years back.

Jill

Jeff_Schroeder said:
One would hope judges can feel through that "little bit of fluff" but I guarantee you an American never would have ended up in the top two at a major until slick sheer shows.

Look at the thread on Kris Black's bull sale thread for an example of people who have seen plenty of cattle picking apart $10k+ bulls because they're not used to seeing them without hair.

I didn't pick apart the bull because he is slick, I simply made the comment he was rounder in the rear than I like them and he reminds me of the Limis from 10+ years ago, that's why people used them for the heavy muscling, they made great crosses,I wasn't slamming him.  I'm guessing that is the same reason Lifeline is popular in the slick shear states, like it or not they are a different animal than we breed for in other parts of the country.

JSchroeder

I said "picking apart" instead of "slamming" for that very reason.  Your comments in that thread and this one are an excellent example of the difference between haired and slick cattle.

DLB

I'll add my 2 cents here.  I LOVE the slick shearing calves that Lifeline produces.  They are just flat out nice.  In my opinion, some of the best steers to have  been shown this decade at the Texas slick majors (San Antonio, Houston, & Austin) are some of the best slick calves that I've seen.  I even think that Lifelines are better than the slick Heat Waves....again just my opinion. 

hart

isnt he a lifeline bull?

I think Lifeline makes good cows (more so than many other clubbys). anyone else find the same?

afhm

The Lifelines in Texas are like the Heat Waves in the north.  If its a good calf its a Heat Wave regardless of its true dna.  In Texas if its a good slick shearing chraolais or colored calf its a Lifeline  just because a couple Lifeline sired calves did some winning, just like it was Ammo a few years ago and Payback before that.