TH Carriers on Angus Cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

TexasHeat

I have a small herd and can not decide whether to use some TH Carrier bulls on my PB Angus cows.  Has anyone had any bad luck with the TH? How often can it be expected to occur?  Any opinions would be helpful.

Jill

It will never occur on a true PB Angus cow, the ones you'll need to worry about are the next generation if you keep any of the animals for breeding replacements, they could be carriers.

jbzdad

I think with pure angus cows you are probably one generation away from the terminal cross, since you will be wanting to keep or sell the heifers as potential cows I think you limit your options if they are TH or PHA positive. There seems to be enough "clean" sire possibilities out there that I would stick with them... I think you are reducing the value of 1/2 your heifers if you breed +. My luck the best heifer would be +...

oakbar

If you don't have TH in your herd, why would you want to put it into half of your calf crop next year??  There are way too many good bulls out there who are TH and PHA free to use the ones that aren't.  JMHO  We had all the experience with TH we needed about three years ago--3 dead calves out of 8.    We still have a carrier female or two(we test and/or steer all their calves) but we will not use any bull who is TH positive to propagate it further.