th in herfords?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I was reading a 2011 genetic horizons deal and I noticed that the top 2 herford bulls listed were to have tested th and pha free. I'm always 5 years behind the ball on this stuff. I'm glad t osee that they were tested th free and whatnot. Why were they tested? Is it suspected and accepted that there is funny business in their pedigree and thus a test is needed? Or are they out front and just want to proove that there is no Carp dieum in the pedigree? What is the Herford breeds stance on the Carp deium factor? Thanks in advance.

MRW

aj said:
I was reading a 2011 genetic horizons deal and I noticed that the top 2 herford bulls listed were to have tested th and pha free. I'm always 5 years behind the ball on this stuff. I'm glad t osee that they were tested th free and whatnot. Why were they tested? Is it suspected and accepted that there is funny business in their pedigree and thus a test is needed? Or are they out front and just want to proove that there is no Carp dieum in the pedigree? What is the Herford breeds stance on the Carp deium factor? Thanks in advance.

As a Hereford breeder, I think there are some cattle out there that have some "funny business" going on that are marketed/shown as Herefords.  I'm not against the Carpe Diem type stuff when it comes to show steers.  I think it's great to see a lot of Hereford-influenced steers in the show ring, and clubby type Herefords are necessary for that.  It's when the sisters to those not 100% Hereford steers start finding their way into registered shows (it could very well already happen) that I will have a problem with it.

DLD

There are 4 registered Hereford bulls listed as thf/phaf free in the 2012 Genetic Horizons catalog.  Not sure the exact reasoning behind testing those particular bulls. I do know that when the tests first became available, SEK tested their most popular bulls, whether their pedigree indicated it was necesarry or not - I'm guessing maybe that's why those particular bulls were tested. 

Th bulls have been siring Hereford marked calves preceding Carpe Diem quite a bit - including his sire Tank, and grandsire Heat Seeker. Even back to (and before) the "double dirty" Stinger.  Shorthorn bulls have been known to sire Hereford marked calves as well.  As MRW said, it's not violating any rules to use any kind of bull to produce Hereford appearing show steers, for shows that classify by appearance only.  Obviously it is to register their heifer (or bull) mates, but it'd be pretty niave to say it hasn't / won't happen...

Of course, bulls like Carpe Diem and Red Rock have greatly increased the odds of a TH carrier getting a calf that would actually pass as Hereford.  With bulls that aren't Hereford marked themselves, getting a true Hereford marked one is strictly hit and miss - mostly miss.

obie105

I believe starting with bulls born last year they have to be dna tested to be able to register calves out of them in the future. I know at our state shows all animals will be tested to make sure they are purebred. Personally I think cattle need to be purebred not just look it otherwise herefords will also end up dirty. I dont like just being able to classify animals in Iowa you need that piece of paper. Jmo

C

cornish

proven fact one of the best show cattle producing herf operations in IL-- is steep with shorthorn genetics...  Ole Warhorse and Bad Moon Rising was used quite hard over the years. 

Latest posts