TH/ PH testing question

Help Support Steer Planet:

mainegirl

I recently registered my new herd bull and I am getting him tested. I want to send off hair and was just double checking if I need to keep the follicle cold (like when sending off blood) or can I just stick some hair in the envelope with the application and send it off?  I didn't see any special instructions to do so and assume I don't. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. Just figured I'd double check and be on the safe side. Thanks :)

CAB

try igenity.com
They'll send you hair sample cards free along with a form sheet to fill out regarding what tests that you want ran. You will not have to keep them cool.

twistedhshowstock

I am in a situation for the first time where I am dealing with some cattle that were not already tested and need to be tested.  Prior to this all of my cattle were either already tested when bought or were negative by pedigree.  I dont remember where I read it, but I read a post somewhere, I believe on here, where it was said that the hair test was not as accurate as the blood test.  Something about the lab that developed the test were not confident in it?  Is this true, or am I remembering something that wasnt actually said?

Till-Hill

I have no idea about the accuracies but I really love the Igenity tissue tags. You can put them in throw the collector in the freeze and test anytime you want. If you lose your paper work you just look at the corresponding numbers on the collector and the tag in the animal and get everything back in order. I tag all replacement heifers and bulls at shot time and if I decide that they need to be tested I got the sample taken and send it in! Also with the tags it's not just your work that they have been tested when the tag number in their ear is the same as the test they send back to you.

KSUwildcat2009

Twisted, it's not the accuracy of the test, it's the quality of the DNA you get from hair that is the problem and the fact that many people do not know how to take a good hair sample that will yield high quality and quantity DNA.  Although, there is the same issue with blood samples too.......  :-\

jbzdad

the Maine anjou site is contracting with one site for the DNA for parent verification as well as PHA TH testing  results go straight to both owner and AMAA... works well with hair for me...really need several good tail follicles...put the bovine in a chute or tight alley... pull the hair with pliers... you will see the little round bulbs on the hair ends... that is what you want... get a good bunch  .. I was able to pull 10-20 hairs well with each pull and submitted 5-6 pulls... tape with scotch tape ... then tape to form... you can print the form for each animal on the website before you start... it is a good idea to trim of the straggly ends to help get them in an envelope.. no refrigeration needed.... seems like was 60 bucks for both genetics test and DNA

Gargan

to answer ur question mainegirl, no you do not need to keep the hair cards cold or frozen (of course this comes from igenity). I had a similar question when i sent my samples to igenity to ask them how fresh they should be and they said as long as there were 20 or so good folicles in the card, they would be good for several months.

GKE Cattle

We did our last test with hair samples to Igenity.  I called them first to see if they wanted hair or blood to do Th and PHA test.  They told me they prefered hair and that was great for us as we did the test in December and I did not want to send blood in the cold weather.  The guy I talked to there said not to worry about the temp.  Just make sure to get about 30 good hair foliciles.  We were happy with Igenity,,very professional to work with, polite about questions and prompt with results.
Just an FYI,,I do not like to use pliers to pull hair,,,the best way I found is hold the switch with one hand and  wrap about 50 hairs around your index finger on the other hand and then pull up,,you get a nice neat bundle of hair and most times about 95% have good folicles,,and the cattle never even move.