TH & PHA Free Bull?

Help Support Steer Planet:

OKshorthorn

I have a carrier, solid white shorthorn cow that we are wanting to breed with a composite bull hoping for bull calves. What are some bulls that you have had success with that are free of both TH and PHA?

frostback

I have used Tiger Woods on my carrier shorthorns with some success. I am one to believe lightning doesn't strike twice so this year I used One and Only. I also like the old Full Form bull on my shorthorns.

OKshorthorn

You will have to let me know what you think about One and Only...I almost pulled the trigger last year but bred her to Vortec instead. We will see how that worked in a couple months. I'm nervous about Tiger Woods, I have seen some rear wheel trainwrecks from him.

frostback

I heard that after I used him but mine have all been good. Kept one heifer as a replacement and she is fine, and sold a few steers that were no problem too. Mine were all Double Vision daughters or grand daughters.

JnK showcattle

Yes def agree with one and only. We have had several calves sired by him and all have sold for no less than 2500

OKshorthorn

I'm glad you said Captain Morgan. I am real curious about him, I haven't seen any calves by him though. Have you? I would be up for trying Red Line on this cow because of her pedigree we aren't real excited about keeping purebreds from her. My brother is pretty excited about crossing her with a black bull, so we are gonna try that this fall.

kfacres

Redwine Cattle said:
I'm glad you said Captain Morgan. I am real curious about him, I haven't seen any calves by him though. Have you? I would be up for trying Red Line on this cow because of her pedigree we aren't real excited about keeping purebreds from her. My brother is pretty excited about crossing her with a black bull, so we are gonna try that this fall.

When i saw him in Denver- I thought he could have been the best bull there- for sure in the top 3.  i think his quality of hair, and maybe more maternal geared breeding ability-- might be keeping him from getting used as much as he should be, IMO.  I've seen about 20 or so CM calves on here since-- and I've liked all I saw. 

I actually bit down, and bought some semen on him- that I plan to use on a real moderate roan- Double Stuff/ WMW/ Cunia cow that needs some performance, and mated to a clean bull.  We were going to AI her last year- but never caught her in heat-- then were going to again this spring-- but decided nobody had time, and it was so much easier to turn her in with the bull-- hopefully next year I can use up some of those straws in her.

The Redline deal now has the attention of some pretty high up people involved with the ASA- and I believe this thing might actually take off now.  This son, that I've been posting pictures of is also getting some people excited- and we the owners are super stoked on the way he is coming on now that the drought has forced a wean-- and he's been getting grain.  Thinking about showing him at MO state fair this summer.  He's going to be a little more moderate than Redline (Redline is right at a 6.1 frame), and is going to be thick and bodied up quite a bit more than redline.  Then take into account the bottom of his pedigree being strong in Gizmo/ Elbee, and other 'uncommon' pedigree indicators--- this guy is going to be stacked for calving ease as well...  But the best part will be that this son will make purebreds from purebred cows-- 

clubcalve

Young Money is one I am using this year. I have a one and only bull calf this year and he is awesome. I also used Tiger Woods and got a decent heifer out of him but nothing too extraordinary.

mark tenenbaum

For Calving Ease-UB DMCC-Top Fuel-hes a little over 2-there are 25+ spring calves in Iowa-and a bunch of falls settled in Texas-then he came back up to Iowa and bred 20 more springs-pretty busy for a young bull-the calves are 60-80 pounds-all have pronounced lower quarter and hip.-Hes sird by Free For All- and out of a huge albeit LOW BW Cumberland doner:she was sired by the 1997 National Champ bull-who had a bunch of Maine in the woodpile-so did her dams sire,from 1990. O0

Latest posts