TH/PHA Testing

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLB

Got a few females that I'd like to get tested for TH/PHA just for ease of mind.  What is the easiest process to go about doing this?  Are more vets around the country doing these kind of test?  Thanks for any information!
DLB

sh breeder

to start with you need to pull blood on your females but you need puple top blood tubs I think about 3cc lable tub to cow then to send
AgriGenomics,Inc
2399 N 1000 east road
Mansfield,ILL 61854

I belive its $42 for th-pha
$40 if over 25 hd
phone number  is  217-762-9808  thats the text lab
hope this will help that the paper work that I to check your cows and bulls 

cpubarn

I used Pfizer.  I could use tail hair or a blood card and avoid the shipping purple tops tube of blood or paying the vet to do it.

Similar cost, results by email in about a week to 10 days.

It worked for me.

Mark

linnettejane

i had my vet draw the blood...i just copied off the instruction sheet and showed it to him...it was the first time he had ever done th/pha testing...i think the main thing besides the purple topped tube to remember is to make sure when you mail in the sample, it will arrive when there is someone there to receive it...for example i would worry about it arriving late friday or saturday, if there is no one there to get it, then it will sit until the following monday and probably ruin...we usually have our samples drawn the beginning of the week and next day air ...

not sure what breed you are wanting to test, but the shorthorn assoc. has this on their website

http://www.shorthorn.org/images/registration/genetictesting/forms/2009/october/AgriGenomics_Instruc_Sub_January2009.pdf

or directly from agrigenomics website

http://www.agrigenomicsinc.com/

http://www.agrigenomicsinc.com/Instructions%20For%20Sample%20Submission.pdf

old timer

CPUBARN, Ive never heard of Pfizer doing testing.  Can you post the info or PM me.  Ive used agrigenomics several times before.  Thjey are just deathly slow.

DL

DLB said:
Got a few females that I'd like to get tested for TH/PHA just for ease of mind.  What is the easiest process to go about doing this?  Are more vets around the country doing these kind of test?  Thanks for any information!
DLB

The tests have been licensed to several labs including Pfizer - individual vets or vet clinics are not doing them; if these are registered cattle check with your breed association to see which labs they have approved

If drawing blood need a new needle and syringe/vaccutainer for each animal

The instructions are on both the breed web sites and the lab web sites

DLB

The breeds of my 2 females I want tested are a PB maine heifer out of a bull called Special Powers and a Chi heifer out of Rambo on a PB charolais female.  So just to cover my a$$ and protect my females I'm going to get them tested.  Thank you for all of the information folks!!