th phenotypes

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

The Outcast bull is a complete different mutation......is what I understood. Very similar but not the same. Please tell me that you are not claiming that a horned bull could sire polled calves on horned cows cause he has polled blood in him. ;D

kjd farms

Our little experience with using club calf sires says that more often than not th carrrier sires/dams produce calves with "the look" needed to compete in the show ring.

We started out by saying we would not use carrier bulls but found out quickly that our calves from th/pha free bulls (for the most part) could not keep up.  From our experience the only clean bull that still provided the calves with the look on a consistent basis needed for today is Who Made Who.  We are speaking for ourselves in this case.  That being said we haven't used him in the past 2 years.

Our best Ali show steer ever was out of an All About You cow.  

This year, our best Mercedes Benz show steer prospect is out of another All About You cow.  We also have another steer sired by our purebred Angus bull out of a Heatwave dam that will work well in the show ring.

95% of the semen we used this year is from carrier bulls.  The only non carrier bulls we used were on th females and first calf heifers.

We have never tested any of our cattle for th/pha.  All of our cows are clean by pedigree except for the calves that we have retained as females (All About You, Heatwave, Eye Candy (this year) Monopoly (next year))

I wouldn't bet the farm on being able to pick out our carriers and non-carriers, but I think we would be right most of the time.

All that being said, we want/need clean females to breed/flush to our th/pha bulls.  The club calf females are more of an experiment than anything and we don't think they will ever out produce our clean pedigree/non club calf females.

oakview

Am I correct in assuming that most show steer producers desire TH in their genetics then?  If a clean bull was used with the frequency of. say, Heat Wave and his clones, wouldn't the probability of them siring a champion improve?  Is it general consensus in the club calf industry that you have to have TH to compete?  Are there any club calf producers that use strictly clean genetics?  If TH is seen as a requirement for a good show steer and a good show steer is supposed to be the industry ideal, should we all be using TH positive bulls?  How about the foot deformity that has been showing up lately?  It may have the same base animal as TH.  Just curious.

GONEWEST

Duncan Livestock said:
Our little experience with using club calf sires says that more often than not th carrrier sires/dams produce calves with "the look" needed to compete in the show ring.

We started out by saying we would not use carrier bulls but found out quickly that our calves from th/pha free bulls (for the most part) could not keep up.  From our experience the only clean bull that still provided the calves with the look on a consistent basis needed for today is Who Made Who.  We are speaking for ourselves in this case.  That being said we haven't used him in the past 2 years.

Our best Ali show steer ever was out of an All About You cow.  

This year, our best Mercedes Benz show steer prospect is out of another All About You cow.  We also have another steer sired by our purebred Angus bull out of a Heatwave dam that will work well in the show ring.

95% of the semen we used this year is from carrier bulls.  The only non carrier bulls we used were on th females and first calf heifers.

We have never tested any of our cattle for th/pha.  All of our cows are clean by pedigree except for the calves that we have retained as females (All About You, Heatwave, Eye Candy (this year) Monopoly (next year))

I wouldn't bet the farm on being able to pick out our carriers and non-carriers, but I think we would be right most of the time.

All that being said, we want/need clean females to breed/flush to our th/pha bulls.  The club calf females are more of an experiment than anything and we don't think they will ever out produce our clean pedigree/non club calf females.

If your carrier cows don't produce as well as the clean cows if will be because of their mongrel genetics not because they carry the TH gene. HOWEVER, I think you can reason from what you have written about your heard, that the best calves you have are from Hi-Maine bulls (clean) and Cows with carrier genetics, probable carriers. Isn't that the same thing as using TH carrier bulls on clean pedigreed cows? So used in that way why wouldn't they produce as well as clean pedigreed cows and TH carrier bulls. When you breed two animals of very, very, mixed heritage is where you ad to the already high inconsistency as well as the probability of the defect expressing itself.

hamburgman

oakview said:
Am I correct in assuming that most show steer producers desire TH in their genetics then?  If a clean bull was used with the frequency of. say, Heat Wave and his clones, wouldn't the probability of them siring a champion improve?  Is it general consensus in the club calf industry that you have to have TH to compete?  Are there any club calf producers that use strictly clean genetics?  If TH is seen as a requirement for a good show steer and a good show steer is supposed to be the industry ideal, should we all be using TH positive bulls?  How about the foot deformity that has been showing up lately?  It may have the same base animal as TH.  Just curious.

Remember these bulls have to "prove" themselves by siring winners before they are used heavily.  So when heatwave was first used he was siring winners and calves were doing well, idk how heavily he was used the first year, but I guarantee you he semen sale only grew for the first 4 or 5 years.  So a young clean bull gets used and even if he isn't used as heavily if his calves don't compete he is called a dude and out.  If heatwaves didn't win out of the gate same thing would have happened to him.

GONEWEST

Oakbar:

Am I correct in assuming that most show steer producers desire TH in their genetics then?

Yes

If a clean bull was used with the frequency of. say, Heat Wave and his clones, wouldn't the probability of them siring a champion improve? 

No. You like Horse Racing. For me, Secretariat was the greatest horse of all time. But he couldn't sire other horses that could run. HOWEVER, he sired the dams of many great runners and those mares are still producing winners. Why? Because he doesnt have the ability to pass on his large heart to his offspring, particularly male offspring,(the greatest percentage of runners are male)because that gene  is carried on the X Chromosome. His daughters, however do have the ability to pass it on. The same with the TH. Clean bulls don't have the concentration of of big bone, big hair, big butt genetics to be able to pass it on on a more consistent basis. For example, Amen looks like any carrier bull, but he will never sire from clean cows what is being asked for in the ring with the same consistency  as a carrier bull of the same quality. And if you use that bull on carrier cows, you get even more mixed up breeding which leads to even more inconsistency than there already is.

Is it general consensus in the club calf industry that you have to have TH to compete?

From a breeding standpoint, you are trying to produce as many salable animals as possible. And you can't do that with purely clean genetics. Do most of the steers that win major shows outside of Texas appear to be carriers? Yes. Who knows if they are themselves, but they certainly have the look. I do believe there are some Maintainer cattle that are clean that can have the look and pass it along just because the genetics of those same things are in the breed genetics. Or at least in the Maine breed as we know it today. There is a shorthorn bull or two that are clean that I believe used on the right cows could work. But again, its because the hair and bone and butt in some of these lines as we know the breed today. But these clubby bred clean bulls on clean cattle just aren't going to do it on a consistent basis.

Are there any club calf producers that use strictly clean genetics?

Not that have any consistent production.

If TH is seen as a requirement for a good show steer and a good show steer is supposed to be the industry ideal, should we all be using TH positive bulls?

Not unless you want your herd to look like show steers.

How about the foot deformity that has been showing up lately?  It may have the same base animal as TH.  Just curious.

No idea. I am not saying that the deal with TH is good or bad or indifferent. But I think anyone who is reasonable can look at the facts and see that it takes those animals that are carriers to raise the cattle that win at the highest level on a more consistent basis.

RyanChandler

aj said:
Please tell me that you are not claiming that a horned bull could sire polled calves on horned cows cause he has polled blood in him. ;D

I'm claiming it O0: CM569897

Attachments

• IMAG0428-1.jpg
    IMAG0428-1.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 267

oakview

I appreciated the opinions on TH/club calf production.  I'm not involved in that arena, but like to hear viewpoints.

Lazy D HL Quane:  I saw Quane as a calf, in 1982 I think, and had it down to him and the bull calf I eventually picked, Lazy D Ultimate Type.  I believe Quane's dam was Ballyart Snowflake.  If I remember correctly, she was a champion show female before being imported.  She was a good cow.  In my evaluation, I thought Quane was perhaps a little heavier boned than Ultimate Type, but also had a little more shoulder and didn't fit together quite as well behind the shoulder as I would have liked.  Ultimate Type was named by his breeders for what he looked like.  Darned near a perfectly structured animal.  Both calves were outstanding, the top of their group at Lazy D that year.  What tipped the scale in the end for me was Ultimate Type's pedigree.  He was sired by the original Deerpark Leader and out of Highfield Una 3rd, a moderate framed, highly productive cow.  Quane's dam, Snowflake, was a tremendous cow, but I didn't particularly care for Quane's sire, Hazel Leap 2nd.  He and Highfield Highler 202nd were the two main Irish herd sires at Lazy D at that time, and I always preferred the Highler bull.  The Quane calves I have had over the years were rugged, straight on their back legs (in a good way), and big hipped.  It's been a while since I've had calves out of either bull, but I wouldn't be afraid to use them today.  I know Ultimate Type is clean and I believe Quane would be, too.

twistedhshowstock

Well some arguments here are misunderstood and some are contradictory.  

Saying that mating a clean cow to a carrier bull or visa versa ends up with the offspring having a 50% chance of being a carrier does not mean that if you always mated that cow to that same bull that half her offspring would be carriers and half clean.  It means that each specific calf has a 50% chance, just the same as each specific calf is going to have a 50/50 chance of being boy or girl(I realise that sex determination doesnt work the same way, just using it for illustration purposes) but if you look at all of a cows calves over her lifetime they may not be half of them boys and half of them girls.

Relating the ability of clean sires to Secretariat is kind of off base as well.  By stating this you are stating that this is a sex linked gene, which as far as I know it isnt.  (I also wasnt aware that the size of secretariets heart was sex linked either, but I could be mistaken.) I have seen no research into if TH is a sex linked gene, yet I am going to use my intuition to say that it isnt, to explain myself I gather this by saying we can know that it isnt linked to the Y Chromosome because then it would be impossible to have a carrier cow since she doesnt have a Y Chromosome.  I am also going to say that it cant be linked to the X Chromosome because then the only way for one to be homozygous(lethal) would be for that individual to be a heifer, and I dont think that is the issue.  
This same sex linkage argument in my opinion contradicts the theory that carrier calves are bigger boned, hairy, stouter because these genes are all close together  and they inherit them all together .  By your argument that it is impossible for these clean bulls that are good to sire good steers would mean that the TH Gene and genes for all those positives would in some instances be located on different chromosomes, thus making it impossible for them to inherit them all together.

Lastly, and I sound like a broken record saying this.  TH and PHA are RECESSIVE genes NOT CODOMINANT GENES at least as far as my study of the research concludes.  So even if there were varrying "strengths" of the gene as some want to say, and even though there are different actual mutations that are all called TH, it doesnt matter. The ONLY possible way for a recessive gene to have any impact on the development of the individual is for that indiviual to be homozygous for that gene.  If they are heterozygous for the gene then the gene has absolutely no affect whatsoever on the development of the indivudual.  This includes muscle amount, bone substance, and amount of hair.  If the gene were codominant then it would be possible for it to mix and match what it affects, but that would also mean that it would be possible for the lethal deffect to present itself in heterozygous individuals.

The reason that so many carrier have good hair, muscle, bone, look, etc is because the genetic lines that introduced the mutations also had those characteristics.  So it was just natural for them to have both.  The TH gene didnt grab hold of the other genes and bring them with it, they just happened to get both.   Everyone wants to say that you can visibly pick out carriers, I say its more likely to go to shows and pick  out carriers.  Yes Carriers are most likely gonna have good hair, bone, etc, but there are plenty of carriers out there that dont have a lick of hair, bone, or muscle, you just never hear about them because nobody wants them regardless of their carrier status. And like was pointed out with Thriller earlier and many other animals out there like him, there are plenty of people out there that would have lost money because they would have quicly without hesitation bet money that he was a carrier based on his look.

Truth of the matter, all these arguments  that you have to have  these genes to have the look.  Who out ther is picking their cattle based on carrier status???  I dont know any, but if you do then please let me know, because I will sell them all the phenotypically indesirable carriers I produce.  Truth of the matter is we all chose our cattle, regardless of if its a steer, heifer, or bull based on physical apearance first, then we look at pedigree.  The only difference is some people will not buy anything for breeding purposes that is a carrier,  while some dont care if they are a carrier.  However, I have yet to see anyone, regardless of their stance on the issue, that found a good one and then decided not to buy it because it was clean.  That alone should negate all of their own arguments that the genes are required.  We know they dont buy steers based on their carrier status because nobody tests steers, therefor a steers status is pure speculation.   If you know of anybody that only buys carrier steers send them myway next year, all of my steers will be carriers if they want them to be.

Another thing , I remember a few years ago a pretty respected guy promoted this bull that was double carrier because of all this hype that one had to be a double carrier to be worth a darn.  Maybe I missed something but I have yet to here of any calves out of that bull so that must not of worked for them???

kfacres

oakview said:
I appreciated the opinions on TH/club calf production.  I'm not involved in that arena, but like to hear viewpoints.

Lazy D HL Quane:  I saw Quane as a calf, in 1982 I think, and had it down to him and the bull calf I eventually picked, Lazy D Ultimate Type.  I believe Quane's dam was Ballyart Snowflake.  If I remember correctly, she was a champion show female before being imported.  She was a good cow.  In my evaluation, I thought Quane was perhaps a little heavier boned than Ultimate Type, but also had a little more shoulder and didn't fit together quite as well behind the shoulder as I would have liked.  Ultimate Type was named by his breeders for what he looked like.  Darned near a perfectly structured animal.  Both calves were outstanding, the top of their group at Lazy D that year.  What tipped the scale in the end for me was Ultimate Type's pedigree.  He was sired by the original Deerpark Leader and out of Highfield Una 3rd, a moderate framed, highly productive cow.  Quane's dam, Snowflake, was a tremendous cow, but I didn't particularly care for Quane's sire, Hazel Leap 2nd.  He and Highfield Highler 202nd were the two main Irish herd sires at Lazy D at that time, and I always preferred the Highler bull.  The Quane calves I have had over the years were rugged, straight on their back legs (in a good way), and big hipped.  It's been a while since I've had calves out of either bull, but I wouldn't be afraid to use them today.  I know Ultimate Type is clean and I believe Quane would be, too.

I know where there is a group of Quane, coming yearling daughters.  I thought they were plenty big, and slab sided for today's world... I guess their worth might come to- after turning 3 years old, and their offspring possess the traits that the excellent mother's sire carried?? 

GONEWEST

Relating the ability of clean sires to Secretariat is kind of off base as well.  By stating this you are stating that this is a sex linked gene, which as far as I know it isnt.  (I also wasnt aware that the size of secretariets heart was sex linked either, but I could be mistaken.) I have seen no research into if TH is a sex linked gene, yet I am going to use my intuition to say that it isnt, to explain myself I gather this by saying we can know that it isnt linked to the Y Chromosome because then it would be impossible to have a carrier cow since she doesnt have a Y Chromosome.  I am also going to say that it cant be linked to the X Chromosome because then the only way for one to be homozygous(lethal) would be for that individual to be a heifer, and I dont think that is the issue. 
This same sex linkage argument in my opinion contradicts the theory that carrier calves are bigger boned, hairy, stouter because these genes are all close together  and they inherit them all together .  By your argument that it is impossible for these clean bulls that are good to sire good steers would mean that the TH Gene and genes for all those positives would in some instances be located on different chromosomes, thus making it impossible for them to inherit them all together.

You missed the whole freakin point and it seems to me that it took some effort to miss it. I didn't say TH was sex linked. There is nothing in my statement that any reasonable person could see that says it was. I used the analogy for Oakview and him only because I know he enjoys horse racing as do I. The point was that in order to pass something on you have to have the ability to do it and clubby bred clean cattle DO NOT have the ability to pass the big bone big hair and big butts with the consistency of Th carrier bulls. I have no idea how you could take what I said as TH being a sex linked trait. And yes, the large heart gene is carried on the X Chromosome. Why do you think that big league race horses are line bred in the 4th 5th and 6th generation over and over to certain mares? It's called the X factor. If you'd like to argue with me about Thoroughbreds, by all means feel welcomed to do so. It's not going to be pretty.

Lastly, and I sound like a broken record saying this.  TH and PHA are RECESSIVE genes NOT CODOMINANT GENES at least as far as my study of the research concludes.  So even if there were varrying "strengths" of the gene as some want to say, and even though there are different actual mutations that are all called TH, it doesnt matter. The ONLY possible way for a recessive gene to have any impact on the development of the individual is for that indiviual to be homozygous for that gene.  If they are heterozygous for the gene then the gene has absolutely no affect whatsoever on the development of the indivudual.  This includes muscle amount, bone substance, and amount of hair.  If the gene were codominant then it would be possible for it to mix and match what it affects, but that would also mean that it would be possible for the lethal deffect to present itself in heterozygous individuals.

The reason that so many carrier have good hair, muscle, bone, look, etc is because the genetic lines that introduced the mutations also had those characteristics.  So it was just natural for them to have both.  The TH gene didnt grab hold of the other genes and bring them with it, they just happened to get both.  Everyone wants to say that you can visibly pick out carriers, I say its more likely to go to shows and pick  out carriers.  Yes Carriers are most likely gonna have good hair, bone, etc, but there are plenty of carriers out there that dont have a lick of hair, bone, or muscle, you just never hear about them because nobody wants them regardless of their carrier status. And like was pointed out with Thriller earlier and many other animals out there like him, there are plenty of people out there that would have lost money because they would have quicly without hesitation bet money that he was a carrier based on his look.

You are ignorant of inheritance of genetics. The reason that TH carrier animals are big boned and big butted and big haired is because the genes for those traits as well as TH are located near one another on a strand of DNA. There it is MORE LIKELY that if the animal inherits those genes from his parents he is also going to get the TH gene. It is not the expression of the TH gene that causes the hair, big butt and big bone. It is that they are inherited together in many instances and at times 1 of the 4 ,two of the four, or 3 of the 4. If the 3 you got leaves the TH out you have a clean animal that looks like a carrier. But if you use that animal as a breeding animal, chances are he wont be able to pass that along consistently because he doesn't have the concentration of those genes like a carrier that got his genes from the part of the DNA where it is most concentrated. And like Secretariat he doesn't have the ability to pass on his "look."

Truth of the matter, all these arguments  that you have to have  these genes to have the look.  Who out ther is picking their cattle based on carrier status???  I dont know any, but if you do then please let me know, because I will sell them all the phenotypically indesirable carriers I produce.  Truth of the matter is we all chose our cattle, regardless of if its a steer, heifer, or bull based on physical apearance first, then we look at pedigree.  The only difference is some people will not buy anything for breeding purposes that is a carrier,  while some dont care if they are a carrier.  However, I have yet to see anyone, regardless of their stance on the issue, that found a good one and then decided not to buy it because it was clean.  That alone should negate all of their own arguments that the genes are required.  We know they dont buy steers based on their carrier status because nobody tests steers, therefor a steers status is pure speculation.  If you know of anybody that only buys carrier steers send them myway next year, all of my steers will be carriers if they want them to be.

It's not that people pick animals based on carrier status. It's that animals that APPEAR to be carriers win. And if you think that you can make animals that APPEAR to be carriers from clean animals on a more consistent basis than someone who uses carrier animals then you are just plain wrong. No one argues that it doesn't happen, but only someone with no experience would think that it can happen as often.  ::)

Another thing , I remember a few years ago a pretty respected guy promoted this bull that was double carrier because of all this hype that one had to be a double carrier to be worth a darn.  Maybe I missed something but I have yet to here of any calves out of that bull so that must not of worked for them???

oakview

I enjoyed the Secretariat reference, in fact, I can verify the heredity of the large heart he possessed.  I just read about it again Wednesday.  It was very interesting to get the explanation of why his daughters produced better winners than he did, all because of that large heart gene, simply put.  I think it was on the Wikipedia Secretariat website or maybe in Penny Cnennery's book (my copy is personally autographed, thank you).  The grandkids are excited about the possibility of a Triple Crown winner and we decided to watch Secretariat's three races the other night, too.  I might add that the "official" ranking of the all time top 100 racehorses is correct.  It agrees with me.  Man O'War first, Secretariat 2nd.  Let the argument begin!

In their time, most of the Irish cattle were a notch smaller framed and heavier muscled than their mostly dual purpose contemporaries that were winning the shows.  I bought Ulitmate Type to downsize and get that big, square hip.  Improver became more popular over time because he didn't sire so many 8 frame cattle.  There's no doubt that most of the Irish cattle of that time wouldn't have the muscle dimension so many desire today.  Duke of Dublin and a few others might be exceptions.  However, from a productive standpoint, I think females sired by some of these bulls would be highly valued today.  I've got a few young double bred Nobody's Fool females and I'm real excited about trying to duplicate CF 18th Fool 458 (a Deerpark Leader 18th daughter) and the Dividend/Nobody's Fool dam of Propsperity.

KSUwildcat2009

twistedh, sex determination does work the same way in the sense of probabilities.  THC has a 50% chance of passing on the affected allele and a 50% chance of passing on the normal allele.  A THF animal passes on the normal allele 100% of the time.  In mammals, the male is the sex determining parent.  They are XY.  They have a 50% chance of passing on X chromosome and a 50% chance of passing  of passing on the Y.  Thus, in both cases 50% chance of being one and 50% chance of being the other.

The gene causing TH is involved in hind limb formation, thus the various deformities in TH affected calves.  The reason this is important is because it causes the widening in the abdominal cavity, i.e. abdominal hernia seen in ALL TH affected calves.  Therefore it would not be surprising if the THC animals have some form of phenotypically noticeable differences in the rear end.  I don't want to confuse people by saying this, because it is an autosomal recessive lethal genetic defect.  This means that 2 copies of the affected allele will cause the calf to be affected with the defect and the abdominal hernia symptom.  The single copy of the normal allele in carrier animals is enough to sustain this animal for proper function, no hernia, etc.  This could possibly mean that there is a change in the development though and give a difference in the appearance of that hind leg and hip set.  Now don't read this wrong.  I'm strictly talking about hind limb set, be it width in the hip or straightness of hawk.  Barrel Racer please correct me if this is incorrect.

How many steers out there are steers because they are THC?  Again don't read this wrong.  How many of them became steers because they were tested and are THC, but their full brother who is THF got to keep his?  My point here is that it didn't matter what he looked like, he became a steer because of his genetics not his phenotype.  His phenotype says he would be a really cool breeding piece but his genetics say sorry, we're not going to let you try because we have plenty of THC cows and don't need you to lose a fourth of our calf crop because of luck of the draw.  Just a thought.

Gonewest, you might appreciate these.  These papers are all 3 related to myostatin variants in racehorses and their link to sprinting ability.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2010.02126.x/full
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0008645
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/11/552/

kfacres

KSUwildcat2009 said:
twistedh, sex determination does work the same way in the sense of probabilities.  THC has a 50% chance of passing on the affected allele and a 50% chance of passing on the normal allele.  A THF animal passes on the normal allele 100% of the time.  In mammals, the male is the sex determining parent.  They are XY.  They have a 50% chance of passing on X chromosome and a 50% chance of passing  of passing on the Y.  Thus, in both cases 50% chance of being one and 50% chance of being the other.

The gene causing TH is involved in hind limb formation, thus the various deformities in TH affected calves.  The reason this is important is because it causes the widening in the abdominal cavity, i.e. abdominal hernia seen in ALL TH affected calves.  Therefore it would not be surprising if the THC animals have some form of phenotypically noticeable differences in the rear end.  I don't want to confuse people by saying this, because it is an autosomal recessive lethal genetic defect.  This means that 2 copies of the affected allele will cause the calf to be affected with the defect and the abdominal hernia symptom.  The single copy of the normal allele in carrier animals is enough to sustain this animal for proper function, no hernia, etc.  This could possibly mean that there is a change in the development though and give a difference in the appearance of that hind leg and hip set.  Now don't read this wrong.  I'm strictly talking about hind limb set, be it width in the hip or straightness of hawk.  Barrel Racer please correct me if this is incorrect.

How many steers out there are steers because they are THC?  Again don't read this wrong.  How many of them became steers because they were tested and are THC, but their full brother who is THF got to keep his?  My point here is that it didn't matter what he looked like, he became a steer because of his genetics not his phenotype.  His phenotype says he would be a really cool breeding piece but his genetics say sorry, we're not going to let you try because we have plenty of THC cows and don't need you to lose a fourth of our calf crop because of luck of the draw.  Just a thought.

Gonewest, you might appreciate these.  These papers are all 3 related to myostatin variants in racehorses and their link to sprinting ability.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2010.02126.x/full
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0008645
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/11/552/

If THC is a determining factor, and the people are cutting the carrier males-- to keep their clean brothers-- then why on earth is 95% of the semen catalogs, covered up 90% with THC, and/ or PHAC bulls?  Seems to me it should be the other way around...

Wasn't Hook part of promoting a bull that was THF, and PHAC-- and something to the effect of "People wanting the double dirty- here's your bull to breed to THC cows.?"

KSUwildcat2009

outspoken said:
If THC is a determining factor, and the people are cutting the carrier males-- to keep their clean brothers-- then why on earth is 95% of the semen catalogs, covered up 90% with THC, and/ or PHAC bulls?  Seems to me it should be the other way around...

Wasn't Hook part of promoting a bull that was THF, and PHAC-- and something to the effect of "People wanting the double dirty- here's your bull to breed to THC cows.?"

Just a way to look at it.  That is how things happen around some farms, not all.  I think in the purebred sector you see this more.  For example, a breeder has a THC cow that he just can't seem to part with.  Any bull calf he gets out of her that is THC isn't going to get to stay a bull because they don't feel like it should be propagated, but he's a really cool show steer.  Any female THC gets fed out and ate so as to not keep the cycle going.  But any THF offspring she has get to stick around.  Like I said, just an example or a thought.  It's not the case when it comes to everything.

Another possibility is this:  Test all the calves, the THC bull calves get made steers because they are THC and have the "look".  The THF bulls stay bulls, are the THF option, and then become the full brother bull to the XXX State Fair Grand Champion Steer.  Promotion and advertising points.  I'm not claiming that they are good because of their TH status.  I'm just stating the possibilities and how the numbers of THC show steers can be explained and why some THF bulls stay bulls.

And I wouldn't disagree with you, Lautner's semen catalog is a prime example of the high number of THC sires. 

GONEWEST

KSUwildcat2009 said:
outspoken said:

Just a way to look at it.  That is how things happen around some farms, not all.  I think in the purebred sector you see this more.  For example, a breeder has a THC cow that he just can't seem to part with.  Any bull calf he gets out of her that is THC isn't going to get to stay a bull because they don't feel like it should be propagated, but he's a really cool show steer.  Any female THC gets fed out and ate so as to not keep the cycle going.  But any THF offspring she has get to stick around.  Like I said, just an example or a thought.  It's not the case when it comes to everything.

Another possibility is this:  Test all the calves, the THC bull calves get made steers because they are THC and have the "look".  The THF bulls stay bulls, are the THF option, and then become the full brother bull to the XXX State Fair Grand Champion Steer.  Promotion and advertising points.  I'm not claiming that they are good because of their TH status.  I'm just stating the possibilities and how the numbers of THC show steers can be explained and why some THF bulls stay bulls.

And I wouldn't disagree with you, Lautner's semen catalog is a prime example of the high number of THC sires. 

The problem with your logic is that there are no purebred steers winning major steer shows. Purebred cattle may win their breed, but the number of purebreds that are steers and could have been bulls is very low.

KSUwildcat2009

Yes I agree, few purebreds win major shows.  I'm not trying to prove points, just throw out possibilities.  Here's a couple for club calf/non purebred breeders:

Some people only test and sell their calves that are worth a dang and the phenotype of the "typical" THC is that it is worth a dang (whether it be due to bone, hind leg set, width, hair, whatever else), skewing the data set.

There's also a chance that people cut everything and don't test a single calf.  The ones with the "look" win and they are THC.

I'm not making claims one way or the other on hair and such because I honestly do no know what the full gene function is or what it's linked to (as in linkage on the chromosome).  At the end of the day I think it's a discussion that could go on for a while.  To me, these scenarios all seem possible but it probably depends on what you believe about the THC phenotype on how you look at it.  Some people don't think about it other ways than what goes on at their farm.

kfacres

KSUwildcat2009 said:
Yes I agree, few purebreds win major shows.  I'm not trying to prove points, just throw out possibilities.  Here's a couple for club calf/non purebred breeders:

Some people only test and sell their calves that are worth a dang and the phenotype of the "typical" THC is that it is worth a dang (whether it be due to bone, hind leg set, width, hair, whatever else), skewing the data set.

There's also a chance that people cut everything and don't test a single calf.  The ones with the "look" win and they are THC.

I'm not making claims one way or the other on hair and such because I honestly do no know what the full gene function is or what it's linked to (as in linkage on the chromosome).  At the end of the day I think it's a discussion that could go on for a while.  To me, these scenarios all seem possible but it probably depends on what you believe about the THC phenotype on how you look at it.  Some people don't think about it other ways than what goes on at their farm.

for someone who's been preaching that being THC has no correlation to winning--- you just stabbed yourself in the back.

KSUwildcat2009

Please show me where I said it had no correlation to winning.  As far as I'm aware I haven't.